• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley pulling plug on SQUARE O? What do you think?

What do you think of Oakley pulling the plug on Square O products/designs?

• Good Idea - I'm pleased about this

• Bad Idea - I'm angry/disappointed about this

• Don't Care - I'm not bothered either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a bit conflicted. Coming from the car business I've seen some changes to brand image and identity over the past 29 years that have both worked and not. Mazda, for example. Changed entire logo and branding image twice. Most of you would have to dig deep into google (there you go @OakleyFrankFMJ) to even find their first change now. Likewise with Acura...now just a short footnote.
Oakley, however, different. They are using multiple logos at the current time and are doing quite well with all of them. I understand economy of scale and identity recognition but they actually have that now..with the multiples. I know in not a corporate bighead but I would weigh in if asked for a continuation of the current iconS. Like the old saying, If it ain't broke...
I know not what you mean. :angel:

Sent from heaven up in the clouds while pissing with the wind.

I remember when I first started seeing the square O; I didn't care for it. But at the time I didn't realize it wasn't an across-the-board change, I thought they were changing their icon for everything. Luckily, not.

These days, I'm used to it and like it now and then. But I'm not really shedding any tears about its discontinuation, either.

I think the Square O definitely has a place on the frames which suit it. Just stop 'tarting around' with known elements that are considered by us as being details of a finished piece.

Maybe they should come up with yet another version of the icon. How about this?

icon.jpg

Sent from a dumpster while diving for used Oakley display materials to sell on the exchange for $400 each

Just to kick things off, I am gutted by this.
Looking at my collection, such a vast majority of it is Square O. Hijinx, Dispatch, Eyepatch, etc.
They are discontinued frames, I grant you. But what about the current stuff . . . .

The Turbine looks way worse without the Square O.
And what about stuff that's still on the website like Holbrook, Gascan and Fuel Cell? They're still selling - so are we going to see them change too?

I like the Square O. It's different. It looks cool.
The petition for Save Square O starts here!
#SaveTheSquareO

Back