• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Quality Control Lately

hkwinger

Oakley Expert
California, USA
I was just down at the local O-Store. I was considering picking up another X-metal if they had any before everything was sold out. They had the X-Metal / Ruby Juliet still in stock. I took a look at the last two they had and I was surprised at the quality of the glasses, one in the box and not displayed the other the display model. Neither of the glasses had matching shades of ruby on the lenses. The ruby was super dark on one side and lighter on the other and between the two there were like 4 shades). The nose bridge had unequal gaps in them, similar to if they had been worn, but they were tight. Anyone else have a similar experience? I almost picked up a pair anyways and still might go back, the $10 per $50 I think is a good deal, but I just want to make sure that these are not lemons.

Thanks

people have been noticing batch variations on lenses for years. for some reason the company cant get Ruby consistent. the nosebridge people have also noted.....seems to vary by year and even colorway....some have also gotten looser or tighter tune ups. Now, differing shades on the same piece? that i havent seen, but given the recent issues im hearing about (though some are denying are really happening) im not surprised. its really your call if you pick them up, might just want to given their discontinued status and price

Look at the new P42 lens. Some of them have an iridum coating, and some don't. For being the same lens, with the same name, I would call that a QC issue.

Look at the new P42 lens. Some of them have an iridum coating, and some don't. For being the same lens, with the same name, I would call that a QC issue.
I was under the impression that there are two different P42 lenses. One is just the "P42" and the other is "P42 Black Iridium". Kinda like how it is with the VR28, I guess. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd heard.

I was under the impression that there are two different P42 lenses. One is just the "P42" and the other is "P42 Black Iridium". Kinda like how it is with the VR28, I guess. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd heard.
It is P42 and P42 Iridium, but it is Ice iridium over a Persimmon base from what I was told inside, and I have the P42 IR here. Rather ugly to be quite honest. HI Persimmon is better, which is Persimmon with a Blue IR coating...

I was just down at the local O-Store. I was considering picking up another X-metal if they had any before everything was sold out. They had the X-Metal / Ruby Juliet still in stock. I took a look at the last two they had and I was surprised at the quality of the glasses, one in the box and not displayed the other the display model. Neither of the glasses had matching shades of ruby on the lenses. The ruby was super dark on one side and lighter on the other and between the two there were like 4 shades). The nose bridge had unequal gaps in them, similar to if they had been worn, but they were tight. Anyone else have a similar experience? I almost picked up a pair anyways and still might go back, the $10 per $50 I think is a good deal, but I just want to make sure that these are not lemons.

Thanks

probably not a huge issue. im assuming these are the last Gen pairs... i havent noticed anything like you describe (different lens shades between left/right) but then again i only have 3 pairs that are the last gen. flex coupler issues usually go away after breaking in or after a tuneup (if its hugely severe, oakley will even send it it FOC, i had this happen once). lens wise i wouldnt be too fussed.

It is P42 and P42 Iridium, but it is Ice iridium over a Persimmon base from what I was told inside, and I have the P42 IR here. Rather ugly to be quite honest. HI Persimmon is better, which is Persimmon with a Blue IR coating...

Doc, by your logic then P42 base would simply be persimmon? Dann did a side-by-side and found P42 to be slightly darker. its probably just a tweaked version of Persimmon though.

but i do agree, the P42iridium is weaksauce, the HI Persimmon is one of the best looking low-light lenses around (next to HI blue)

I was told by an insider that P42 was simply the leftover persimmon blanks for said fitment and then coated with Ice Iridium. As for the non iridium version, I have no idea....

Really? I hadn't heard anything about there being an official non-iridum version of P42. Everything on the Vault web site is labelled as P42 Iridium. However, the Flak and MD have the iridum coating, and the HJ doesn't. So maybe it's just a labeling issue or something. But I have to agree with everyone else. P42 (either one) is pretty weak. I love my HI Persimmons, and wish they were easier to come by.

Does anyone know if the Straight Jacket and Scalpel that hit the Vault last week have P42 iridum, or non-iridium?

Latest Posts

Back