• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Radar Lock Compatibility With Regular Radar Path Lenses

steveadorjan

Oakley Beginner
From what I've found online, the regular (older) Radar Path lenses are not compatible/interchangeable with the new Radar Lock Path frames. I talked to Oakley's customer service this morning and was told that the regular Path lenses can actually be used in the Radar Lock Path frames.

It's not "official", but the customer rep said he actually did it himself with his own Radar Locks. I then went to my local O Store, where I was told the same, and the sales associate even showed it to me by inserting a regular Radar Path lens into the Radar Lock Path frame. It doesn't work with the Radar Edge lens, but I don't really care, since the Path shape is my favorite.

Now my problem is that I put the regular Radar Path and the Radar Lock Path lenses side by side, and there are small differences in the width and shape of the nose area, as well as the small "hooking" parts at the two extremes of the lens (which attach into the frame). I wonder if it's safe to use the regular Radar Path lenses with a frame they were not designed for.

Could it result in long-term damage to the switch-lock mechanism of the Radar Lock frames? I've also noticed the Radar Lock's nosepiece (which is very slightly thinner than the regular Radar Lock's) does not fit 100% the regular Radar lens (there is a very tiny little gap), though they seemed attached pretty sturdily when the guy did the demo for me.

The problem is that Radar Lock replacement lenses will not be available for a while and I'd like to buy a VR28 or G30 lens for my Radar Locks, but I'm not sure it's entirely safe to do so with the regular Radar lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to give that a try tonight. I can't imagine that you would damage the lock mechanism since its on the side

Since the "hooking" part of the lens (sorry for the awkward description) is slightly different, the non-Lock lens might put some pressure on the locking mechanism. It seems to work in practice, but when you insert the lens you can see that the angle of the non-Lock lens "hook" is not aligned 100% with the locking mechanism. I guess this is why the official line from Oakley is that they are not interchangeable, even though store employees would recommend it to sell an extra lens (at least as long as Radar Lock replacement lenses are not available).

Ok, the regular radar lens will fit the Radarlock frame, but not vice versa. The Radarlock lenses have a more aggressive "hook" which makes them a tad to big for the standard radar frame. The standard lenses do not fit exactly perfect around the nose bridge but will work just fine.

This is very helpful. Thanks! So do you think that the slight difference in the "hook" shape of the Radar lenses does not cause any problems with the Radarlock switch lock? I understand that they fit, but does the difference in shape (of regular Radar Path lenses) cause any stress/tension in the plastic lock mechanism of the Radarlock frame?

I've also noticed that the central area of the regular Radar Path lenses does not fit perfectly around the Radarlock nosepiece, but again, could that cause any strain problems? They didn't seem to move, so I guess they were tight enough for wearing them.

Ok, the regular radar lens will fit the Radarlock frame, but not vice versa. The Radarlock lenses have a more aggressive "hook" which makes them a tad to big for the standard radar frame. The standard lenses do not fit exactly perfect around the nose bridge but will work just fine.

Good to know that, thanks.

Any Radarlock and Radar owners are willing to weigh them? I wonder if the Radarlock is actually heavier with the new switchlock system.

the weight from the radar is 28-29 grams . . .
don't have the new one switchlock system.

It didn't seem heavier when I held it in my hands, but that's a subjective experience. Could be a few grams at most, if there is any. The lock mechanism is small and made of plastic (with a tiny spring inside, I suppose, but I couldn't see that). Actually, it seemed a little bit flimsy to me, so I hope that it's been thoroughly tested for durability.
Still wondering about any potential damage that the regular Path lens might do to the Lock Path frame :confused:

I would think if there is some pressure on the lens in the frame (even minor), you have now disabled the effect of the Switchlock technology. The whole point of the Radar Lock was to remove as much pressure from the lens to gain optical clairity. While the damage to the frame may be minimal to none by using the wrong lens, the whole point of Switchlock tech. has been removed. Now wheather you believe Oakley or just think that it's marketing propaganda is entirely up to the user.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the marketing propaganda part. After all, the regular Radars have been worn by thousands of elite athletes for so many years. And Oakley has always prided itself on HDO clarity, even before switchlocks came about. So, I think that the main reason switchlocks (not just on Radars, but think also of Fast Jackets etc.) were introduced is to relieve physical stress on the frame and lens "hooks". Which is still an improvement, as far as I'm concerned, though it's not primarily about improving optical clarity. I must admit that you can really feel how the Radar Lock lens kind of "floats" in the frame (I believe this is Oakley's official term): it doesn't move, but you can feel there is no tension though. The fact that the regular Path lens has a slightly different hook may be an issue only if it puts unnecessary stress on the latch of the switchlock. That is, I'm more concerned about the potential failure of the lock rather than loss of optical clarity. To repeat, the Oakley.com customer service rep I talked to on the phone told me that he himself used a regular Path lens in a Radar Lock frame (and the sales associate at my local store did that too for a customer).

Back