• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Radar Pace

Honestly dudes are full of s*** thinking they're fulfilling a need.

I mean maybe audible monitoring saves someone from looking down at a display, but if we cut the coaching crap and narrowed down the the essential, this is just a very expensive heart rate monitor. This product can pretty much be wiped out with proper BT earbuds and a similarly-made mobile app. Difference is, you have more options.

I personally have one bud of an LG tone in-ear with the main unit on my neck and under my jersey when I ride so I can handle calls, and to my surprise most people on the other end don't know I'm riding.

Honestly dudes are full of s*** thinking they're fulfilling a need.

I mean maybe audible monitoring saves someone from looking down at a display, but if we cut the coaching crap and narrowed down the the essential, this is just a very expensive heart rate monitor. This product can pretty much be wiped out with proper BT earbuds and a similarly-made mobile app. Difference is, you have more options.

I personally have one bud of an LG tone in-ear with the main unit on my neck and under my jersey when I ride so I can handle calls, and to my surprise most people on the other end don't know I'm riding.
Where are you reading that it monitors your heart rate? The marketing info posted at the top merely says it can be linked to a hrm. But I agree with you, it looks pretty bad, glancing down and your garmin is hardly an inconvenience and you get so much more data.

The marketing info posted at the top merely says it can be linked to a hrm.

That's how I interpreted it, assuming the link therefore led to some kind of audible monitoring.

If it can't do that either, then well, eh...

That's how I interpreted it, assuming the link therefore led to some kind of audible monitoring.

Ah, I understand what you mean now, I thought you were saying that the glasses themselves monitored your hr. Yeah, at the very least it should be able to read you your heart rate.

It will give you HR, and strides via audible feedback.
Up close with Oakley Radar Pace, the wearable that may help you forget Google Glass

Someone on the other forum is going to put it thru it's "paces" :behindsofa:

Intial commentary from them:
"The Pace connected with my Garmin ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor, and still allowed it to remain connected to my Garmin Bike computer (Pace does NOT connect to bike computers). This was what I was concerned about as my Garmin pulls in data from my HR Monitor, and other sensors (Speed, Cadence, & Power Meters), to provide me a comprehensive summary of my ride that I sync with Strava (Strava is a social media for fitness data). I plan on testing out the connectivity to the sensors on my bike tomorrow. And at this time, I have not figured out if it's possible to upload data from my workouts with Radar Pace, to Strava."

I would say a positive sign so far.

Last edited:
It will give you HR, and strides via audible feedback.
Up close with Oakley Radar Pace, the wearable that may help you forget Google Glass

Someone on the other forum is going to put it thru it's "paces" :behindsofa:

Intial commentary from them:
"The Pace connected with my Garmin ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor, and still allowed it to remain connected to my Garmin Bike computer (Pace does NOT connect to bike computers). This was what I was concerned about as my Garmin pulls in data from my HR Monitor, and other sensors (Speed, Cadence, & Power Meters), to provide me a comprehensive summary of my ride that I sync with Strava (Strava is a social media for fitness data). I plan on testing out the connectivity to the sensors on my bike tomorrow. And at this time, I have not figured out if it's possible to upload data from my workouts with Radar Pace, to Strava."

I would say a positive sign so far.
From the article you shared:

For all the built-in technology and sensors, the Radar Pace lacks a heart rate monitor, which means that, if you want to track that key workout metric, you’ll need to wear and connect to a third party device. Oakley execs told me the Radar Pace will work with most Bluetooth Low Energy heart rate monitors, which should cover a lot of popular wrist-worn devices. However, the Apple Watch is, for now, not one of them. It’s also not clear at the moment how the sunglasses will integrate, if at all, with third-party workout apps.

Battery life is currently rated at 4 hours with music playing and 6 hours without.

From the article you shared:

For all the built-in technology and sensors, the Radar Pace lacks a heart rate monitor, which means that, if you want to track that key workout metric, you’ll need to wear and connect to a third party device. Oakley execs told me the Radar Pace will work with most Bluetooth Low Energy heart rate monitors, which should cover a lot of popular wrist-worn devices. However, the Apple Watch is, for now, not one of them. It’s also not clear at the moment how the sunglasses will integrate, if at all, with third-party workout apps.

Battery life is currently rated at 4 hours with music playing and 6 hours without.

I think they were planning on most people who would venture for this product would already have an existing HR measuring device anyway, other than a wrist mount like iWatch or Fitbit.

Although heart rate monitoring via earphones tech is already on the market.
The best biometric and heart rate monitoring headphones
Like the first optical HR sensors now on common on watches, the consistency of accuracy is what compared to a chest strap for the ear pieces? They are all in their infancy with many of those in that very article not available yet or just doing so this quarter.

Given this is version 1.0 of the Pace, can't expect to cram 5 lbs worth of **** in a 1 lb bag and properly diagnose exactly what made the bag break and it's threshold for being a quality product. Need to start with 2 or 3lbs, perfect and move on so as not to constantly have a product that is never just right on any level. If the early rumor is true the lenses aren't even swap-able with existing EV radars, they already failed on appealing to existing customers who bought into the EV line.

Latest Posts

Back