• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Romeo 1 - Need repair

personally, i take em apart (be careful of losing the temple screw washers) and wash with a power toothbrush and dish soap i've put some xmetals in the dishwasher too, without rubber pieces of course.

Finally getting to cleaning them and putting everything together. Attached is how I made out. They look good(a lot better then they did) , but sad that the lenses do not fit perfect. I have contacted InfiniteHero about it and see what the next step is going to be. Over all again i am very happy with how they are looking.

glasses1.JPG
glasses2.JPG
glasses3.JPG
lens1.JPG

Finally getting to cleaning them and putting everything together. Attached is how I made out. They look good(a lot better then they did) , but sad that the lenses do not fit perfect. I have contacted InfiniteHero about it and see what the next step is going to be. Over all again i am very happy with how they are looking.

View attachment 172157 View attachment 172158 View attachment 172159 View attachment 172160

X-metals, especially the early ones like the R1, have a certain margin of "variation" from frame to frame. Unless you're sending your frames in with the lenses so the cutter can test them, going off a standard template always has the possibility that the fit won't be exact. Even with OEM replacements, sometimes...

I've gotten, IDK, close to a dozen cuts from IH. Only had a problem with one of them, and he replaced them with my only cost being the shipping to return the problem set.

That is a small gap. A gap of course but it may be something that can be fixed without sending it back. You may have done it already but just in case you haven't have you tighten down the orbital screw? The other thing you may want to try is to check and make sure you didnt accidentally put the left lens in the right orbital and the right lens in the left..... It is an easy mistake to make. I of course never did this. Uhhh ummm I just heard others did :oops:

R1 lenses are kinda close in shapes making it a little harder to distinguish left and right compared to Juliets, XX and XSs.

If you did these and it is in fact a gap in the cut InfiniteHero will take care of you. I have had a several of my lenses cut from him and have been happy with them. Keep us posted.

did you install the lenses properly? The lens should have a 'notch' on one side and a rounded edge on the other. The 'notch' side should go to the ear stem side and the rounded edge should go to the nose bridge side....

did you install the lenses properly? The lens should have a 'notch' on one side and a rounded edge on the other. The 'notch' side should go to the ear stem side and the rounded edge should go to the nose bridge side....

Thanks @jdd32 for mentioning that, I did say that in the PM I wrote him. Our lenses typically come with L and R sticker to signify which side goes where, but Optically Forum members and most people in general call the sides of the lenses as they look at the frame head on, and the R1 lenses are so close I have, and I know others have put them in backwards, hence the stickers. :)

BUT........ Our lenses, that nub or notch, is extremely subtle and difficult to tell, its there, but not as easy to see, same for our Mars. So that can get overlooked.

I told him,

1. Possibly tighten down the orbital screws and squish the gasket slightly and that might take all of that sliver of a gap out.
2. If wrong side, then should take care of itself.
3. loosen lenses, then move a little bit and then tighten down, that usually takes care of most.

There is a chance the temple area got a smidgen too small for the OD. We did 11 pairs in his batch and no issues except one other, and it was solved by moving the lens a tad. So this is not common, but @kronin323 mentioned the ID Orbital tray size differences in R1's especially. They are all different and most of our lenses are oversized to compensate. Rarely a frame and lens comes back to be tweaked. Sucks his is this way. But we went to t full digital machine so some tweaking for upsizing may need to be needed. We will see, I said try this and if it works then great, if not we have options, but can always send those back, I will make into a Penny and will get and cut him new ones for the R1. He will be taken care of per my usual policy.

looking at the pics with the gap in that location, i'd have expected a notch but it looks like a rounded edge to me. He may have L/R lenses fitted correctly but rotated them accidentally.

They were on the correct side as IH had them labeled when shipped. After adjusting them about 10 x's I think I got them in place correctly. I think this had more to do with just the tightness of all the new rubbers. I am pretty damn happy with the outcome. They feel like new and are not broken in but it is nice to have something that looks great visually and feels good on my eyes looking out them. Two months exactly after the first post was made, my glasses are back together. Was it a quick process? No, not really but I am happy. I will post a pic of the final product later. You all are an awesome group that is amazingly helpful and I cannot thank everyone enough for all your comments/suggestions. Now that I am a little bit more educated and not without something to wear while I go through the process, what should my next pair be? Juliets?

Latest Posts

Back