1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. erap

erap Oakley Collector

What is the difference between Ruby Iridium and Positive Red Iridium Oakley lenses, and which one is better for maximum sun protection?

Many thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. discodave

discodave Go Navy!

I'm no lens EXPERT but I've had many different sets of both. Ruby is better for maximum sun protection. Ruby has more of an orange/yellow look to it, and the positive red will have mostly red/purple/and blue in it. The positive red lenses are better for cloudy days or when the sun isn't super bright.

Example with my Flak Jackets: First pair is ruby, second pair is positive red.

I've had positive red look MANY differen colors too. One pair I had looked almost all blue all the time. So, it depends on what frame you have and how old the lenses are. Ruby used to look a lot different than it does now. Ruby is starting to look like a mix of Ruby and Fire (often called Fruby).

Oakley Ruby Iridium vs Positive Red Iridium - Lens Question - imageuploadedbytapatalk1403001893-368725-jpg.89144.jpg
    Oakley Ruby Iridium vs Positive Red Iridium - Lens Question - imageuploadedbytapatalk1404212218-557538-jpg.91469.jpg

Last edited: 3/9/15
    flyer and erap like this.
  3. qBan

qBan The Hijinxer

I'd say ruby (from my experience with both). And ruby has a nice blue tint to it when you look thru

4. OakleyFreak

OakleyFreak RIP RoTors

Positive Red Iridium
    Medium to bright light. Features a neutral lens tint with an IridiumĀ® coating to tune contrast and reduce glare.

Specifications:
    Oakley Ruby Iridium vs Positive Red Iridium - Lens Question - eyew_plu1_s_pos_red_irid_thumb_40.png
    Light Transmission:
    15%
    Conditions:
    medium to bright light
    Protection Index:
    Neutral / Contrast:
    Contrast

5. OakleyFreak

OakleyFreak RIP RoTors

Ruby Iridium
    Medium to bright light. Neutral lens tint for truer color perception. Features an IridiumĀ® coating to reduce glare. Excellent in hot, sunny conditions.

Specifications:
    Oakley Ruby Iridium vs Positive Red Iridium - Lens Question - eyew_plu1_s_ruby_irid_thumb_40.png
    Light Transmission:
    14%
    Conditions:
    medium to bright light
    Protection Index:
    Neutral / Contrast:
    Neutral

6. OakleyFreak

OakleyFreak RIP RoTors

7. NiGHTSx2

NiGHTSx2 Oakley Collector

IMO +Red is a much nicer lens to look through than Ruby. Try on the two back to back, and you'll see what I mean.

8. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

For two supposedly neutral lenses +red is definitely the more neutral! Though I don't really mind ruby's blue cast.

I have 20 years of history with +red, I've always liked it. Even when I had only stock Juliets, I knew there'd be a +red one in my future :)

9. erap

erap Oakley Collector

thanks guys i think i will go for the +red since based on your comments

10. kayana photography bali

kayana photography bali Oakley Enthusiast

vote for +red