• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do Oakley Prescription Glasses Come with Lenses?

music_man185

Oakley Beginner
This may be a stupid question, but when you get a pair of Oakley Prescription glasses frames, does Oakley have their own lenses as well. I ordered a pair of Oakley halfshocks through glasses.com. They allow you to wear them and try them for a week and then send them back free of charge. I really liked the frames, but was curious if Oakley had their own prescription lenses. Do I need to go to a normal optometrist for an eye exam? Will they be able to make the lenses for the eyeglasses? I'm pretty sure, if ordered through glasses.com, the lenses are the same for all brands of frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakley makes their prescription lenses in house at HQ. You can have any Oakley RX authorized dealer place an order, usually takes 2-4 weeks depending on backorders. Remember, if your RX store says they'll have it for you same day then you're not getting Oakley lenses. Lens Crafters is an authorized retailer that has many locations around the US.

You can find local authorized dealers using the "store locator" on Oakley.com

"Oakley" make some specific ranges now that you can get in any opticians that are frankly exactly the same as 90% of the other glasses you find on the shelf.Those will normally (near here anyway) be sold with their in house lenses put in. If however you want to have 'scription lenses in those frames which have a more curved lense you'll need to have proper Oakley lenses to make sure that the optics stay true wherever your eyes look.

When you get Oakley lenses put in your RX frames they are similar to other Digital RX lenses. Basically made by using a computer to grind the prescription into the lens. Many other smaller shops still grind their lenses by hand. Obviously these days computers can get things down with a better degree of accuracy.

If you get Oakley RX lenses they are made with Plutonite which is Oakley's own lens material which is slightly more impact resistant than other materials. They are not as impact resistant as the sunglasses but the next best thing.

Finally if you do Sunglass frames with higher wrap ( like the post above spoke about) Oakley can take your RX into account and give you better clarity in your peripheral. And your glasses will fit better since Oakley knows how to fit your RX into their frames better than anyone else.

Are there any advantages to Oakley lenses over another brand of lenses?
Same as the benefits of Oakley's sunglasses vs. other manufacturers.

- HDO (high-definition optics)
- ANSI clarity/safety rated
- Oakley True Digital (Oakley's RX manufacturing technique)

Honestly I don't see the point of people spending the money on high dollar Oakley frames only to get lenses filled in at their local 1-hour prescription joint.

Oakley RX lenses cannot be ANSI due to the varying differences in thickness once you put a script in. Most likely they would pass but they cannot be 100% like the sunglasses. So for legal reasons they cannot be classified as ANSI.

Honestly I don't see the point of people spending the money on high dollar Oakley frames only to get lenses filled in at their local 1-hour prescription joint.

Some of the local one hour places may not tell those who are not so clued up about it, some people just see a frame they like then think well
"why should I pay £160-£200 for lenses when I can get some in my 'script for £40".

It also depends on what you use your prescription glasses for.

For example, if you only need reading glasses, then you will use the glasses less often and usually in a stationary position in a safe environment. Peripheral vision will be less important, as will impact resistance. In that circumstance, I would have no qualms in buying non-Oakley prescription lenses.
The likelihood of being involved in a high-speed/high-impact reading accident is slim enough to take the risk.

Unless you have a reading prescription and are one of those idiots who text whilst driving.
You will definitely eventually crash.
And therefore Oakley RX would be the way to go.

Latest Posts

Back