• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I have a huge issue with this.

It is a question of personal integrity. Oakley GENEROUSLY CHOOSES to make their stuff available at USSI at a huge discount for qualifying personnel. They get paid little enough, and are appreciated little enough that this is a rare bright spot. I have a USSI account, but have never purchased anything through it. I also refuse to scalp. If I buy something at or from Oakley via USSI or some other discount to which I might have access, I don't mind selling it if it doesn't fit my needs or isn't working out for me (like my Fives I was selling a few months back - still for sale BTW), but I will only sell it for no more than what I paid for them.

Oakley is kind enough to offer USSI, and perhaps some other discounts, out of no requirement, or obligation whatsoever. Perhaps a P.R. benefit or a brand marketing benefit (getting the product in the hands of the people you want to have seen wearing them), but they do it largely as a gift in my opinion.

It is unethical to take advantage of this. I know some do so. I have seen some employees I know use their generous discount not just for themselves or a special friend or spouse, but actually taking orders from friends of friends and then buying the item at their discount and selling it for an inflated but still less than retail price.

These kinds of shenanigans are what get these perks shut down for everyone. We screw ourselves by being greedy. If my discount ends because some other jacka$$ is using his for profit, I have every right to be extremely pissed at that jacka$$. In fact, I wish that guy more than bad karma.

I'm disappointed when I hear about others using their advantage for profit. This site used to be full of people with integrity, but I fear that as the membership numbers grow, more and more people who are in it for themselves are joining also. I hope I'm wrong and that is not the case.

I've never heard an instance of the program being used for profit, except in the cases of seeing USSI exclusives show up on eBay.

I only seek their SI exclusive items like the M Frame 3.0

Oh, and if you think Oakley is losing money on selling through USSI you'd be mistaken. They still rake it in. I don't want to diminish the tremendous service they offer to LE/Military/First Responders, but they're not doing it at a loss.

USSI is not even close to losing money on any product they offer. but I too have always wanted to believe they are there to reward those who serve.
but over the years i have watched and heard of people buying everyone they know stuff at the SI discount.
Which is why I believe that the discount has slowly been getting smaller and the site is starting to offer so much non SI gear.
USSI used to offer black, black, or black. :) and almost 70% off retail. Now you can get those Matt Bone Big Tacos you've always wanted for the same price as the Vault (30%off) :(
If you dont serve you community or country, please do not ask those who do, to get you a deal on a piece of merchandise. so they dont continue to lose one more small benefit/recognition for a job well done!

It is a question of personal integrity. Oakley GENEROUSLY CHOOSES to make their stuff available at USSI at a huge discount for qualifying personnel. They get paid little enough, and are appreciated little enough that this is a rare bright spot. I have a USSI account, but have never purchased anything through it. I also refuse to scalp. If I buy something at or from Oakley via USSI or some other discount to which I might have access, I don't mind selling it if it doesn't fit my needs or isn't working out for me (like my Fives I was selling a few months back - still for sale BTW), but I will only sell it for no more than what I paid for them.

Oakley is kind enough to offer USSI, and perhaps some other discounts, out of no requirement, or obligation whatsoever. Perhaps a P.R. benefit or a brand marketing benefit (getting the product in the hands of the people you want to have seen wearing them), but they do it largely as a gift in my opinion.

It is unethical to take advantage of this. I know some do so. I have seen some employees I know use their generous discount not just for themselves or a special friend or spouse, but actually taking orders from friends of friends and then buying the item at their discount and selling it for an inflated but still less than retail price.

These kinds of shenanigans are what get these perks shut down for everyone. We screw ourselves by being greedy. If my discount ends because some other jacka$$ is using his for profit, I have every right to be extremely pissed at that jacka$$. In fact, I wish that guy more than bad karma.

I'm disappointed when I hear about others using their advantage for profit. This site used to be full of people with integrity, but I fear that as the membership numbers grow, more and more people who are in it for themselves are joining also. I hope I'm wrong and that is not the case.

Amen, Nuff said...

+1 here. Oakley clearly states this is for military personal only. I know you civilians want discounts, I would too, but this is for us only. I proudly serve my country and have given a lot in order to do so, so let us have small benefits like this without ruining them for us. Oakley already stopped allowing law enforcement to use SI, and if it goes away all together because of guys taking advantage and being dumb, i'm gonna be pissed. If y'all want discounts, find a job at a store that sells Oakley stuff. I work in a Trek bike store on the weekends and get a huge Oakley discount on everything, and I only work 1 or 2 days a week.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't want people ruining this for us.

While I completely understand the intent, I really don't think a few hardcore collectors nabbing some exclusives like POW/MIA, Multicam, or 2.0/3.0 M Frames are going to be the death of the program.

There are a lot of people who simply order in bulk to resell for profit. Take a look online and you'll see 1 or 2 websites selling SI exclusives, and search eBay and you'll find **** like a seller who started with a dozen Helo kits, selling for several times what Oakley wanted. His current price is $65 but he started at $95. And they're a member here.

I was in the Vault the other week getting some stuff and I paid for it using my USAA credit card. The employee asked if I served and I said no, family does. He then told me about OakleySI and told me I should look it up and tell them (active duty family members) about it, and that I'd probably be able to get stuff through SI.

So yes, it is a great program, and yes people are taking advantage of it. But the program has only grown in size and ease of use.

And thank you for your service.

+1 here. Oakley clearly states this is for military personal only. I know you civilians want discounts, I would too, but this is for us only. I proudly serve my country and have given a lot in order to do so, so let us have small benefits like this without ruining them for us. Oakley already stopped allowing law enforcement to use SI, and if it goes away all together because of guys taking advantage and being dumb, i'm gonna be pissed. If y'all want discounts, find a job at a store that sells Oakley stuff. I work in a Trek bike store on the weekends and get a huge Oakley discount on everything, and I only work 1 or 2 days a week.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't want people ruining this for us.

Not sure about law enforcement, but I know people in the fire service can use SI

Not sure about law enforcement, but I know people in the fire service can use SI

I didn't think they said any law or fire can use it. I read the disclaimer and they said military only, but maybe they are being leinant or something. As an ex firefighter, I hope they let the fire dogs use it!

From the website. Emphasis is mine.

"Oakley takes great pride in offering the highest quality products at a direct rate for US Military and Government personnel. The program is for US active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials."

fire/ems here and i have had mine for 3 years. also federal courts security get to use it too (not sure why)

Back