• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley & Surefire- Cut From The Same Cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so much harder than that, what kind of gun? Fixed, picatinny, rail mount, removable? What's more important to you, runtime or output? I'd go with the Scout / E-series 1 or 2 x CR123. It's a good value. You can swap out tail-caps for pressure switch changes. If it's for a handgun, look at the x series.

Rustpot - I'm not here to try to "sell' anything. Surefire makes the best mass produced flashlights (rile-mount/tactical) available. They are the best in the business. However, if you know anything about modern flashlight technology (which you obviously don't) then you would know that Surefire will not tell you exactly what Led is in the light you buy (who manufactures it (i.e - Cree, Nichia, SSC, Luxeon) and bin/tint ratings). Surefire is often 2-3 years behind the rest of the industry when it comes to Led emitters. They do this on purpose, because they are more concerned with heat tolerances and reflector or TIR (optics) compatibility in the production process. I don't know if you are familiar with concept of CRI (color-rendering index). Light has a temperature. Lights that emit a very stark (almost hospital-like) white, theses are called "cool" lights (6500k like a XM-L2 U2) Other lights emit a light that is closer to "after-noon" sunshine, with hints of golden-yellow (3000k - like a XM-L2 S6). Different temp lights are used for different applications. If you want unbiased advice on which light to buy, please go here Recommend Me a Light For...

It must suck to know that the company you once idolized has been bought and bastardized by a faceless international corporation with no vision (no pun intended) who cares more about cost-control over quality. I came here because I lost my carbon X-Squares last weekend and heard this was a good place to go, was I wrong?

Dan
You've made a lot of assumptions about my knowledge. From the very beginning. I've done my research. I understand the technology. I'm actually a member of CPF. I'm also an engineer, who has worked for a few different companies. I know why Surefire isn't on the cutting edge, and I know exactly what I'm getting when I pay their price tags.

Welcome to the Oakley Forum! You came to the right place to talk Oakleys!

ryby8yne.jpg

I run a Streamlight Polytac LED with a Viking Tactics mount on one of my rifles.... Always worked for me and they're made about 20min from my house.

Never got into pressure switches since the Viking mount is perfectly positioned when used with a vertical foregrip.

As a side note... I'm not really a fan of lights or lasers on my weapons.

20140311_231645.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Supero100,
I know your question wasn't aimed my way, but I would buy a surefire X300 with a XT07 pressure pad. It is a small, lightweight, bright ass light. You can also get the X300 Ultra, but I think the 500 Lumens for HD might be too much. You can even mount it at the 12 oclock and put your BUIS behind it, which I like better than the 3, 6, or 9 in terms of ergonomics.

Circling back, things that both companies share ...
1- both founded in California
2-both companies have grown their profile through government contracts
3- both companies have large followings in the Law Enforcement and Military communities.
4- both companies share a core ideal, to enhance or overcome the human experience with light (or lack there of)
5- both companies tried to resist the temptation of globalization. How did that work out.
6 - 1 company grew too quickly and diluted their brand integrity through over-saturation.

(I hope you Oakley-maniacs have the depth of intellect to join in and contribute to this fun thread)

All you young "Malcolm Gladwell's" out there, let's go!!! What else?

Last edited:
6 - 1 company grew too quickly and diluted their brand integrity through over-saturation.
(I hope you Oakley-maniacs have the depth of intellect to join in and contribute to this fun thread)

Eh. As fun as it's been... I think I'm done here.

Edit: Are you certain you weren't looking for this forum? I think they have like 100 members
Ray-Ban Forum

;)

Circling back, things that both companies share ...
1- both founded in California
2-both companies have grown their profile through government contracts
3- both companies have large followings in the Law Enforcement and Military communities.
4- both companies share a core ideal, to enhance or overcome the human experience with light (or lack there of)
5- both companies tried to resist the temptation of globalization. How did that work out.

All you young "Malcolm Gladwell's" out there, let's go!!! What else?
And the subversive insults keep rolling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back