• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Tailpin Polarised sapphire iridium sunglasses cleaning question

They don't, that's why I referenced your model in parentheses. ;)

and @jdd32 was spot-on when he said to use mild hand soap on your frames, the c5 alloy and the O-matter are not harmed at all by this. My oldest Radar lenses I have are 6 year old fire iridium and I use and clean them the most with the "hot" water rinse method I described earlier, not a mark on them except for the scratch from a crash.

Remember too those cleaning kits are refillable for free at any Oakley store!

Thanks very much, appreciate all the help guys :)

Remember too those cleaning kits are refillable for free at any Oakley store!

Only wish I lived near to an Oakley Store. These are pretty sparse here in the UK :mad:

I ordered the Oakley Cleaning Kit and the Oakley Nanoclear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit, yesterday as I could get them both for slightly cheaper than some online retailers were selling them separately.

Wore my Tailpin for the first time yesterday and really liked them. I spend a bit of time near water, and the polarised lens worked excellently, better than the Ray Ban sunglasses I had previously. I found the Tailpin to be extremely comfortable. Really pleased I went with the Sapphire Iridium polarised lenses, really different look to most of the sunglasses I looked at, which were blacks, dark greys.

I wore the Tailpin's for around 3 hours yesterday and it was quite a hot sunny day. I noticed when I had finished wearing them, there was some suncream on the rubber earsocks, around the nose piece and the metal frame round the lens (on the inner side). I ran them under running water first to wash any dust etc off, before I wiped the lenses, and I then put a tiny dot of liquid hand soap on my finger tip and gently worked it on the earsocks, frame and it removed the suncream without a trace been left behind.

I'm going to get into the habit of doing the above with my Oakley's, as I think this is where I went wrong with my Ray Ban's, which caused the finish to bubble on the outer side of the lens and come off on the inside, this was with three years of moderate use. I hope that the Tailpin's last a lot longer as I really, really like them :)

Only wish I lived near to an Oakley Store. These are pretty sparse here in the UK :mad:

I ordered the Oakley Cleaning Kit and the Oakley Nanoclear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit, yesterday as I could get them both for slightly cheaper than some online retailers were selling them separately.

Wore my Tailpin for the first time yesterday and really liked them. I spend a bit of time near water, and the polarised lens worked excellently, better than the Ray Ban sunglasses I had previously. I found the Tailpin to be extremely comfortable. Really pleased I went with the Sapphire Iridium polarised lenses, really different look to most of the sunglasses I looked at, which were blacks, dark greys.

I wore the Tailpin's for around 3 hours yesterday and it was quite a hot sunny day. I noticed when I had finished wearing them, there was some suncream on the rubber earsocks, around the nose piece and the metal frame round the lens (on the inner side). I ran them under running water first to wash any dust etc off, before I wiped the lenses, and I then put a tiny dot of liquid hand soap on my finger tip and gently worked it on the earsocks, frame and it removed the suncream without a trace been left behind.

I'm going to get into the habit of doing the above with my Oakley's, as I think this is where I went wrong with my Ray Ban's, which caused the finish to bubble on the outer side of the lens and come off on the inside, this was with three years of moderate use. I hope that the Tailpin's last a lot longer as I really, really like them :)

Of course they worked better than your Ray Bans, that clearly shows which brand is better....

If you wear them daily for 3 years I personally would be happy that the lenses lasted that long ;)

No chance of wearing them daily here in the UK. More like a few months of the year, on and off when we get some sun :)
Believe it or not, I actually wear my Oakley lenses more in overcast conditions than a sunny day. Contrast lenses like Prizm or vr28/vr50 are lenses that are extremely helpful and I can't live without them nowadays - they bring my awareness more acute with traffic and moving objects

Back