• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Tune Up - UK

As dragonvoi mentioned, these items have reached end of life from a business perspective. It's unfortunate as to what has happened but I think it's also fair to say Oakley has done a great job by keeping the tuning services and OEM lenses for as long as they had around the world. Most companies won't give a toss about an obsolete product - it'd go into discount bin and offer no more than 12 months replacement warranty. The tuning 'stuff up' on the carbon is regrettable but sometimes sh!t happens with these things. Push the pin the wrong way and things can slip with the tremendous force required. Even the almighty X-Man here had a mishap or 2 that some people may be aware of. It's the nature of life... everything has a risk albeit how small the probability and nothing has a guarantee. If Oakley did a crap job consistently, then our forums would be flooded with complaints!

The lost of juliet however is becoming more frequent as of late and I can only guess 2 reasons: either they messed it up real bad and are ashamed to return the damaged item; OR there's theft around the place for these 'high' value items. What may seem surprising to the general public are these items are only worth cost price to Oakley and compensation-wise they're only worth their original retail value. They cannot place a market value to these nor account for one's sentimental value - otherwise the additional costs of insurance policies and changed business workflows with safeguards would flow down to the consumer. The costs would be prohibitive to the general market for a retune and Oakley may as well forget about the headache and just discontinue the service altogether. Hell they'd even save some headcount that can be utilized for other activities as well. Just my 2 cents.
Interesting perspective that I hadn't considered. Thanks for an alternative view.

[From a fly on the wall at Oakley UK...]

"Ay, we got us some Juliets to tune up, where's Walter?"

"The mate's been skiving off the past three months 'cause he had bugger-all to do, don't you know?"

"I'm gobsmacked; what a c0ck up..."

(The janitor, overhearing this, chimes in...)

"Don't lose the plot; I can do the job just as well as that wanker..."

"Brilliant! Here you go..."

(At the tuneup lab...)

"Let's see I just put this here and that there and give this thing a good twist..."

(Juliet snaps in half...)

"Oh bollocks, what a damp squib, this is going all to pot! I know - this pair got "lost", it's all hunky-dory, I'm sure to ace the next one..."

(Second pair, pin goes in but too far and deforms nosebridge...)

"Now I'm getting the hang of it, this is the bee's knees..."

(Second pin goes in okay, third pair completed successfully...)

"Blinding job! I'll be getting me a raise for this; no more chundering expired spam - it's scrummy bangers and mash in my future..."

(Gives package for return shipping...)

"Here it is ready to go, not talking tosh mate..."

"Brilliant - the job's yours from now on... Cheers!!!"

Interesting that you had to obfuscate c0ck but it let a couple more serious swear words through :) Regionalism for you I guess... Talking of which, some of your "characters" seem to be from about half a dozen regions each. Including Australia for reasons unknown... :D

Interesting that you had to obfuscate c0ck but it let a couple more serious swear words through :) Regionalism for you I guess... Talking of which, some of your "characters" seem to be from about half a dozen regions each. Including Australia for reasons unknown... :D

lol yeah aside from watching Dr. Who and seeing Snatch and some similar movies, I'm by no means qualified on British slang... heck, I can't even fake a decent British accent; it falls apart into something vaguely European...

What I did was google "British slang" and found a page "30 Awesome British Slang Terms You Should Start Using Immediately" and crammed 19 of them into that dialogue... :D

30 Awesome British Slang Terms You Should Start Using Immediately

The compound effect of which was that you sounded like you'd graduated from the **** van Dyke school of English accents!

I've watched dubbed anime with English characters where in commentary the VAs have been complimenting the English accent, where in reality it was borderline unlistenable :)

The compound effect of which was that you sounded like you'd graduated from the **** van Dyke school of English accents!

I've watched dubbed anime with English characters where in commentary the VAs have been complimenting the English accent, where in reality it was borderline unlistenable :)
Really? D1ck is censored but bollocks was fine?! Haha, two peoples divided by a common language!

Ah, and the filter censored Mr. Van Dyke's first name, too... ;)

Tune ups are all performed in Holland for Europe. Apparently the packages are not opened until they reach this point, which narrowed down the point of loss/theft to there. The factory was I am told, turned upside down to locate my x metal (grey) pair including all waste areas. They could of course tell me anything to placate the situation and I'm sure I'll never know the real story behind it.
Thanks for the offers of help with this, I do appreciate it!
Stu

Back