• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Twin Shock Hinges

Okay these are the hinges (stock photo), there is nothing that can 'slide' or a spring or anything to allow them to move beyond their normal open position. When I ordered the glasses, I thought there was some sort of spring loaded mechanism, like my $10 readers have. The hinges are fixed, not just 'stiff'. The only way to go past their normal open position is by forcing and breaking them.
IMG_0391_001.jpg

Okay these are the hinges (stock photo), there is nothing that can 'slide' or a spring or anything to allow them to move beyond their normal open position. When I ordered the glasses, I thought there was some sort of spring loaded mechanism, like my $10 readers have. The hinges are fixed, not just 'stiff'. The only way to go past their normal open position is by forcing and breaking them.
IMG_0391_001.jpg

They won't beak. That's how they are supposed to be. When you put them on they will flex to fit.

Do they fit you now?

yes they fit fine, but the hinges do not give, they do not (can not, since there are no moving parts, at least in mine) go past their open point.
I am just asking because these glasses replace my 10 years old Oakleys, why, because their (fixed) hinges broke.
That's why I wanted some sort of spring action. I have readers for computer, tv and books, so I switch glasses 100 times a day, lots of wear on the hinges.

yes they fit fine, but the hinges do not give, they do not (can not, since there are no moving parts, at least in mine) go past their open point.
I am just asking because these glasses replace my 10 years old Oakleys, why, because their (fixed) hinges broke.
That's why I wanted some sort of spring action. I have readers for computer, tv and books, so I switch glasses 100 times a day, lots of wear on the hinges.

There is no moving parts. That's the whole point of the design. Simplicity. They will go past their open point, although I know you don't believe me. If they fit fine, why does it matter?

Even my $10 readers 'fit fine'... the whole point that made my choose these $150 glasses is because Oakley mention the 'special hinges'. As I said :
> my 10 years old Oakleys broke, why, because their (fixed) hinges broke.
> I switch glasses 100 times a day, lots of wear on the hinges.

Even my $10 readers 'fit fine'... the whole point that made my choose these $150 glasses is because Oakley mention the 'special hinges'. As I said :
> my 10 years old Oakleys broke, why, because their (fixed) hinges broke.
> I switch glasses 100 times a day, lots of wear on the hinges.

I'm sure these won't fatigue any time soon. Just wear them and see what happens.

I mean I guess you could model it, estimate a force on it, and perform a fatigue analysis assuming it's titanium and use that to see how long they'll last you, but I'd assume Oakley already did that.

No doubt this is the strangest forum I've ever been, I just joined to ask a question about some hinges and get badly insulted instead... weird. I can only hope that this will give more visibility to my original question and finally get some results. Do Oakley temples with Twin Shock hinges flex beyond their normal open point, yes or not? If yes, how, since my 'Overlord' hinges do not have a spring or anything that allows them to flex (past their open point). Then again from the pictures I can see online, they look just the same, which makes me think that it is just hype from Oakley. I am unable to find any picture with 'Twin Shock' temples extended beyond their normal open point. The overall quality of these Oakley Overlord seems much inferior to my previous Oakley RX (can't remember the model but they are old). They almost feel like toy glasses. This and the hinges issues make me fear that I might have got fakes (purchased on ebay).
Like i said beefore, i apologize. This is a great forum, full of good info.

So far I go nothing but nonsense and insults. If someone can post or point me at a photo of a pair of Oakley 'Twin Shock' hinges extended beyond their normal open point, I will agree with you.

So far I go nothing but nonsense and insults. If someone can post or point me at a photo of a pair of Oakley 'Twin Shock' hinges extended beyond their normal open point, I will agree with you.
You know what? I take back my apology. I was right with my first assumption, you are a prick. qtrain23's trying to help you understand how these work, but you say he's talking nonsense? I apologized for being an ass, but you can't let it go? You think this is the strangest forum ever? Then leave! Maybe you should snap yourself in the eye with your twin shock hinge!

Back