• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley vs Costa Del Mar

Glass typically has better optics than polycarbonate but is heavier and can shatter. While polycarbonate is lighter and shatterproof. Glass is more scratch resistant.

A lot of the technology Oakley has put into their polycarbonate lenses has been to close the gap in optical quality compared to glass. Prism in base (different than prizm), "HDO", "XYZ", etc... Costa's optics are good but not as good.

Costa also markets their glasses for watersports. They only have one lens that appears to be designed for more general use.

I can't say for certain but I believe Costa uses a more traditional method of applying their polarization layer, (glue) which can introduce optical imperfections and possibly delaminate. Oakley uses a (I believe) proprietary fusing method.

For intangibles, both are owned by massive conglomerates - Oakley by the Italian Luxottica and Costa by the French Essilor. Both manufacture their lenses in the US (Oakley in California and Costa in Florida). Both outsource their frame parts - Oakley in China, Costa in Japan, Italy, France, Mauritius, China, or Taiwan.

Obviously those of us here prefer Oakley.

There is only one Costa...Chris.

tumblr_mgjf54SP4d1qzibzio1_500.jpg

:behindsofa:

i had Harpoon in 580G ice. Clarity was amazing. I still have it somewhere in my stash. Just rotation of straight/racing jackets during training and pitbosses1/2 and R1/juliets during driving just never get around to them. Not a big fishing guy (or atleast not yet).
Def. will recommend the use to lanyard that comes with it.

Back