• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleynerd

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has nothing to do with thick skin. This has to do with respect and having paid your dues only to be ousted by some new member punks!

Just so you guys know it's not easy being a moderator. There's lots of time involved in a position that is strictly voluntary. You have to decide in your own mind what is right/wrong and at the same time you have to make sure the decision is best for the board. We try to make these decisions with as little favoritism as possible but kind of like politics there will always be someone unhappy with the decisions you've made. Sometimes the decisions are made based on our set rules and sometimes they are made based on our general beliefs of right and wrong.

I'm just amazed that somebody as highly respected (rightfully so) as Oakleynerd finally decided to leave over the actions and disrespect put forth by another member. For those that don't know who he is, Nerd has been around since the forum first started. He hasn't been around too much recently but he's one of the most OG members we have/had.

Anyone that has been on more than one forum knows that post counts mean nothing, so what constitutes paying dues? I have memberships on forums from ten years ago that I haven't visited in eight; I wouldn't say I've paid dues there. Whatever he's contributed to the forum in terms of photos, information, and conversation is priceless, but you don't need to be an original member to attain that status.

I find it more disappointing that he wouldn't have more pride and say, "piss off goons, this is my house."

Being a moderator is a slippery slope, because not everyone is going to be happy with their judgement. The fact remains that OakleyBoss put his/her faith in Nerd to moderate and his judgement shouldn't fall victim to a couple/few/several assclowns.

I haven't been on this forum long and I honestly haven't talked to or met OakleyNerd. But from what I've been reading, sounds like he was/is an integral part to this community. I have been reading that there's some drama happening here and in all fairness, a loss of someone that everyone seems to respect a great deal doesn't seem to justify his leaving. Lets grow up people. Seriously. Leave the drama out of this community.
Being a moderator is voluntary and from my own experience volunteering, there's nothing stronger than the heart of one. It pisses me off that he'd go out of his way to keep this community going, only to leave because of some people.
If anyone who knows OakleyNerd please send this to him: you will be missed here. I hope that your leaving will bring some semblance of reality back here but it's a tragedy that it happened due to your leaving. I hope that I'll have the opportunity to finally meet you. God Bless and Semper Fi.

Monkey

I don't even want to get into all the things Nerd has done to the forum but they include (and not limited to) vast Oakley knowledge, banning of spammers/deleting of spam, rude and harassing posts.

He's kept the forums clean and tolerable for a long time, it's discouraging that many people don't appreciate this. Most people haven't been mods either though... But I guarantee you that if you spent countless hours voluntarily keeping tabs on the boards and making sure it stays clean, you'd be mad if some new up and comers disrespected you too.

Batwolf Please, after OakleyBoss post this morning I thought everything would start to get back to normal, but seems like you are throwing fuel on the fire, everyone appreciates the work and time the moderators and members put into this forum

This is a pointless argument. It was his decision to leave, and we should all respect it. Hopefully he will return to be a normal member and still contribute his knowledge to this board. But there is no reason to bicker over why he left. As I posted this morning, we need to move on and return to normalcy.

I may be out of line in saying this but wouldn't this issue been better left unposted in the public forums? Like Oakleyboss said, he left on his own decision. I don't see the need to air the dirty laundry and possibly cause further divisiveness in the community. If people ask what happened it could've been easily taken to PM. Just seems awfully in poor taste for staff to come out and chastise members for causing a staff member to leave.

It has nothing to do with thick skin. This has to do with respect and having paid your dues only to be ousted by some new member punks!

Just so you guys know it's not easy being a moderator. There's lots of time involved in a position that is strictly voluntary. You have to decide in your own mind what is right/wrong and at the same time you have to make sure the decision is best for the board. We try to make these decisions with as little favoritism as possible but kind of like politics there will always be someone unhappy with the decisions you've made. Sometimes the decisions are made based on our set rules and sometimes they are made based on our general beliefs of right and wrong.

I'm just amazed that somebody as highly respected (rightfully so) as Oakleynerd finally decided to leave over the actions and disrespect put forth by another member. For those that don't know who he is, Nerd has been around since the forum first started. He hasn't been around too much recently but he's one of the most OG members we have/had.

I don't even want to get into all the things Nerd has done to the forum but they include (and not limited to) vast Oakley knowledge, banning of spammers/deleting of spam, rude and harassing posts.

He's kept the forums clean and tolerable for a long time, it's discouraging that many people don't appreciate this. Most people haven't been mods either though... But I guarantee you that if you spent countless hours voluntarily keeping tabs on the boards and making sure it stays clean, you'd be mad if some new up and comers disrespected you too.
Sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on this.

I've been moderating for close to nine years now on a board that dwarfs this one. It really isn't that hard. And while it is a thankless job which includes people possibly hating you for your administrative actions, at the end of the day, whether you stay on staff and volunteer your services is completely your choice. If you're looking for appreciation, moderating is NOT for you. You do it because you want to. Because you love the topic your message board is about. You go into the job KNOWING you're going to piss people off because you can't please everybody. You go into it knowing it's a thankless job.

If newcomers show up and disrespect you, you as a staff member have to put them in their place. These are YOUR forums. You make the rules and therefore you have to enforce them. If they break the rules, warn/infract them. That's what staff is here for. If you do so and still can't handle it, then perhaps moderation isn't for you. Obviously OakleyNerd got tired of it and left. That's every bit his decision and we all have to respect that.

But for the staff, or in this case, you to come out and air out this dirty laundry and chastise your members for doing what they did instead of going the proper channels in warning/infracting people, what did you expect to happen? People will continue to disrespect because they're not afraid of being punished for their behavior on here. Yes, we may all be adults but when you factor in internet anonymity, white-knighting, cliques, noobs, vets, etc. You're bound to get to a point where your members are just going to continually test the staff and see what they can get away with.

I'll reiterate right this moment that you were the precise reason why I went on my hiatus so many months ago. While you may be a great person (we had a great transaction for the R1,) you are a terrible mod and what you did in this thread is a perfect example of it. I'm sure there are those who firmly disagree with me but that's their opinion and that's perfectly fine. The only reason why I came back is because I love X-Metals too much and there are people here that are truly awesome enough for me to overlook your behavior on here as staff. But this thread immediately brought me back to why I felt like I needed a hiatus the first time around.

I really apologize for this outburst and I sincerely hate the fact that I had to call you out on this but as a person with years upon years of moderating experience, I couldn't let this one go.

Oakleyboss, I personally apologize to you for calling out a member of your staff. But as a member here I feel I had to be honest when I say that his behavior as a mod reflects your site negatively. Perhaps it can be addressed and things will get better. Lord knows I made mistakes early on when I started moderating. But this issue had to be brought up. Either way, if you feel I'm way out of line and deserve disciplinary action, I certainly understand.

I'm not looking for appreciation, I've wanted to contribute and be apart of the community, that's why I'm still here (at the moment).

The issue is that we did enforce the rules. Moderators were punished because we made those enforcements.

Lots of moderators are not happy and will be leaving soon.

I'm not looking for appreciation, I've wanted to contribute and be apart of the community, that's why I'm still here (at the moment).

The issue is that we did enforce the rules. Moderators were punished because we made those enforcements.

Lots of moderators are not happy and will be leaving soon.
Come on now. Moderators were not punished because of that. I mean, just think about how that sounds. Again, these are YOUR boards. Are you saying you guys are being held hostage by the members? Because if that is the case, these boards will not last.

This forum has grown to a point where certain things need to be addressed. Otherwise not only are staff members going to continue to leave, like you claim, but members as well. Nobody wants that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back