• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I picked up some fire red polarized I'll compare and post here
If you're going to play tennis with those lenses, I would advise against polarized lenses. Many athletes (including myself) find that polarization impairs your depth perception to a slight degree, since the brain actually uses ambient glare to localize objects spatially. If you need to track a fast moving tennis ball with your eyes, then you might want to reconsider.

Case in point: I wore polarized shades during batting practice once and found that I swung and missed on breaking balls several times and had trouble hitting the ball squarely. Switched to non-polarized lenses and hit nearly every pitch on the screws. A huge difference.

Polarized lenses are great for everyday use and for driving, boating, fishing and cycling. But for ballsports like tennis, baseball, cricket etc, you're better off with non-polarized lenses. Besides, on a sports field or tennis court there are rarely, if ever, reflections from car windows, water surfaces or rainslicked roads...so it's pretty much unnecessary.

Just something to consider.

So, in a nutshell, more expensive isn't necessarily better, and there's a significant premium on polarized lenses versus non.
Depends on what you need.

Hmm which lens tint would you try then? Bolle makes shades that amplify the yellow of tennis balls

Aren't most non-training tennis balls light green?
HI Yellow or Persimmon for low light conditions.
BI's the darkest and prob too dark, unless you're playing mid-day in Vegas or AZ in summer!
Kinda depends on which part of the world you're in and how intense the sun is, perhaps.

So, in a nutshell, more expensive isn't necessarily better, and there's a significant premium on polarized lenses versus non.
Depends on what you need.
Well, yes and no...depends on the application. As I mentioned, polarized lenses are well suited for driving or boating/watersports because there are numerous sources of reflected glare, which the polarization effectively eliminates.

But polaization comes at a price of slightly altered depth perception. It's not an issue behind the wheel or on waterskis, but when a couple millimeters is the difference between a home run and a pop-up to the shortstop...or between returning a serve or just smacking it into the net, I think paying extra for polarization is wasted money.

Hmm which lens tint would you try then? Bolle makes shades that amplify the yellow of tennis balls
A contrast lens is the way to go. If you go with the Fast Jackets, I'd recommend Blue Iridum for brighter days and G30 Iridium for overcast/partly cloudy. For other frames, I'd check out Tungsten Iridium, Gold Iridium or VR28 Black Iridium. It's a personal preference thing though, really.

Latest Posts

Back