• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys For Yard Work

rjn915

Oakley Beginner
This summer i am working at a college for the grounds department. I wear glasses they gave me when i do certain tasks such as weed wacking but i was wondering if i could wear my oakleys while doing this? The glasses are just some standard plastic glasses soley used to protect your eyes, nothing special, they also tend to fog up alot. I was wondering if wearing my oakleys while i did this work would cause damage to the lense?

Oakleys can be used as safety glasses, but most don't have a specified rating. It may be an OSHA or company insurance requirement to wear properly rated PPE (personal protective equipment) on the job. Not that it's bad policy even without some requirement.

If you're worried about putting a scratch in your Oakleys you should leave them at home in the display case, in my opinion. If you're being hindered by fog and need a tinted pair of glasses and your employer won't provide you with anti-fog spray and tinted safety glasses, why not wear the Oakleys?

Heavy sweat should be cleaned from your glasses to keep the lenses and rubber in top shape, if you decide to wear them.

oakley's are more than capable of being used as safety glasses. the only downfall would be that oakley's are more expensive to replace if you scratch or break them. but on the other hand, you can't put a price on the safety of your eyes. a sharp object being launched into your eyes unprotected will be more expensive than replacing a pair of oakleys.

When I mow the lawn I wear my si gascan, thicker lense. Had my share of stuff thrown at it but nothing major, lenses are not scratched. Nor frame.

If you have a pair that is scratched already use those as stated above, a beater pair. You could also wait until you need new lenses for any frame. Save your old lenses, pop them in and use them for yard work. Or search your nearest Vault for a cheap Half Jacket or other cheap frame.

Back