• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys For Yard Work

A couple of days ago I was out for a ride on my bike, cars were passing closeby on my left and the road had no shoulder on the right. With nowhere to go I ran through a tree branch which hit me right smack in my face. I was going approx 20 MPH and felt the branch hit my nose, sunglasses and helmet. Fortunately, nothing bad happened. Later on I was replaying the incident in my mind and thought for sure my lenses were toast. That night I carefully inspected the sunglasses and found not a single scratch, no pock marks, nor any sign of damage anywhere. I was amazed - not only did the glasses protect my eyes but they came through literally without a scratch. I was wearing my M-Frames with Strike Fire lens by the way.

All it takes is a pebble to go Through your cheap pair and take you're eye out too!

LOL, while i agree that Oakleys make the best eyewear, you also need to stop pretending that Oakleys lenses are the only choice and that all other lenses are made of paper. I've had plenty of pebbles shoot up at me and the Quiksilvers protected my eyes just fine.

LOL, while i agree that Oakleys make the best eyewear, you also need to stop pretending that Oakleys lenses are the only choice and that all other lenses are made of paper. I've had plenty of pebbles shoot up at me and the Quiksilvers protected my eyes just fine.

I'm with your opinion: all polycarbonate lenses are tough, no matter if it's an Oakley or else. What Oakley did well in that they had planted in our minds that their's are the strongest and most resistant.
My problem is that the Oakley sunglasses are lack of safety standard certifications. I also have to wear safety glasses almost every day and I also would like to wear my Oakleys. I know that they are far better (in terms of optical and safety point of view) than any other but with the lack of specification the safety superintendents just don't care. I'm wearing mostly Bollé with clear lenses. It's not as good as the Oakleys but the price is like 1/5th of a plastic Oakley modell.

Luckily for me Oakley says there lenses meet Australian safety lense standards, the bonus is needing description lenses. This means I have to get my own safety glasses and claim back some the price front employer. Oakley 5s with safety lenses and a nice %age charged back to the company.

SpliceD said:

Quicksilvers ain't exactly petrol station/ chemist sunglasses mind you

I have VL lenses in my Oakleys and the girl at the Oakley store basically lectured me for having them (not kidding) but one of her arguments were, "We've had people come back with eye injuries when using their Oakley's for safety glasses with VL Lenses." (Side Note: saying VL lenses is extremely redundant considering it stands for Visionary Lenses but it's it makes no sense if I don't say it that way. :-S) And the first thought through my head was, "Who would risk Oakley's for protective eyewear???" Well...Now I feel special. But yeah, I'd never do that anyways, I already freak out when a drop of water lands on them, I can't imagine anything else. At least with VL lenses I don't worry as much since i can replace them cheaply but if I were you I wouldn't risk them...unless you can afford it.

I have VL lenses in my Oakleys and the girl at the Oakley store basically lectured me for having them (not kidding) but one of her arguments were, "We've had people come back with eye injuries when using their Oakley's for safety glasses with VL Lenses." (Side Note: saying VL lenses is extremely redundant considering it stands for Visionary Lenses but it's it makes no sense if I don't say it that way. :-S) And the first thought through my head was, "Who would risk Oakley's for protective eyewear???" Well...Now I feel special. But yeah, I'd never do that anyways, I already freak out when a drop of water lands on them, I can't imagine anything else. At least with VL lenses I don't worry as much since i can replace them cheaply but if I were you I wouldn't risk them...unless you can afford it.

VL is the brand name, which just happens to have 'lenses' in it, so you're technically still correct to say 'VL lenses' since it's the lens product from Visionary Lenses.

Here's a pair I have that were used as safety glasses. Don't look, you might cry a little. I have the nose piece taken off, but I've used them in this condition when I'm running a grinder or doing something else that throws off sparks and I don't have the full face shield handy.
2012-06-04163442.jpg

Back