• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys Made In USA

The fact is whenever amy company says a change is an "improvement" its bull****. No company makes any change unless its to save money-if the change just happens to actually be an improvement in the eyes of the consumer that's an unexpected bonus but that rarely happens. While the frames may be lighter its pretty hard to fight the laws of physics-if you're making something lighter you're taking away mass, less mass means less rigid, more flexible...but that comes with a price. Cross the line of flexibility too much and the product isn't rigid enough to move back into place.
This is simply not true.

yea i would agree rusty... oakley used to be great with making improvements- see the first change in omatter from pre1999 to the 2000+compound that got recently dropped. that was an amazing change. product improvement should be a focus of a supposedly technologically driven company, and they did that.

but unfortunately, with this recent change to the o-matter, the points that UCD states are pretty convincing for whats going down in this occasion.. very sad.

and like i said, if the now compound was lighter AND just as flexible plus held its shape and rigidity like the old o-matter, i would have no qualms... but the problem is that it really is a poorer quality compound...

Well he said "any company", not just Oakley. I can confirm, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there are companies that improve their products without saving money, and make changes to do things other than save money. And it happens all the time. Every day.

Plus the whole nonsense about rigidity and physics.

nobody is complaining about the weight reduction- if they can build a frame that is lighter and not compromise the build quality you'll see i'll be the first to say all power to them. but releasing this new material across the whole line without getting the quality down properly is a stupid move in my book.

the new o-matter frames have a significant loss of build quality. maybe its just the molding process they havent got down with the new material? either case, within the week there are already reports of the new material in the twoface being warped, and the build quality of the new-material flak jackets being poor, including the nosebridge script being stamped skewed.

dont want to hear it from me? ask doc chop

I wish I had taken detailed pix of the Twoface pairs I just painted prior to paint. They were honestly some of the worst quality build I have seen to date. Very springy material, nothing that felt firm like it would hold well on a head. Don't get me wrong, they may be okay to those who wear them, but I can tell you they are leaps and bounds cheaper feeling. Also, try the Pit Boss 2 vs. Boss 1. Completely different material feel, but for it, was a positive change. The Boss 2 is much lighter, a lot more comfortable, but I don't agree keeping the price point the same as the true "Elite" piece, which this absolutely is NOT. Another thing is that traditionally (more recently anyway) the pieces with Unobtanium trim has been reserved to more sport type frames and not lifestyle pieces. Just an odd pairing to put trim on a Boss?

Well he said "any company", not just Oakley. I can confirm, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there are companies that improve their products without saving money, and make changes to do things other than save money. And it happens all the time. Every day.

Plus the whole nonsense about rigidity and physics.

If they wanted to "save" money and retain domestic production, maybe they should cut back on all the BS like bike tracks, parties, frames and styles that are disco'd within 6 months of release, etc...Poor R&D and market research I think. Sideways, various women's frames, twitch (lasted a lil while but still) gascan s, various Radarlock offerings already, removal of whole Jawbone lineup to replace with RJ, etc...Very poor reasearch into trademarked names, patent issues, and just crappy releases. Rig 1 was out what, a year or so befor it got re-worked? So many impulse releases it seems and rushing to get "fresh" new things shoved out, only for it to fail miserably...Has to be quite costly...

two things, first-there are few real "truths" in the world
, the rest is opinion which is relative and just that, an assertion of some kind from ones unique point of view. second, just as there is a growing faction of anti Lux people, theres also a growing faction of Lux era apologists. Neither has "truth" on their side so lets not couch our opinions in such absolute terms.

Choose your words more carefully perhaps?

And to make a post like you did (which is a backhanded insult to companies that strive to improve their products) that encompasses all companies... then say you shouldn't couch your opinions in such certain terms?

I wholeheartedly agree with the last part of that.

And who are the "Lux apologists?" I haven't heard anyone defend them.

Back