• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Odd Question About Soft Vaults

LoPan12

Oakley Beginner
So, I just purchased a pair of Asian Fit Flak Jackets, which I love. Oddly, when I got it, it was the asymmetrical soft vault, but there was no foam insert for glasses and extra lenses.
When I asked the manager at the local Oakley store (I was returning one pair, I got two to try since you can't find Asian Fits anywhere), she said that they recently recalled all the cases with the foam, and she thinks it might have to do with them scratching lenses. She thought it had to do with some plastic inside at the base of the foam?
In my poking around, I saw two different case [internal] styles. The newest and recent ones were flat (oakley site), and I saw on ebay ones where there is a cutout for the frame arms. Are those with cut-outs older?

When I called Oakley, since the site mentions storage for lenses, and the soft vaults still show the inserts, the rep offered to send me a case with the inserts, I just have to send my case in.
You Oakley guys know anything about the case issue? Should I get the other case from Oakley, or just stick with the empty soft vault? The only issue I have with the empty one is that it now seems WAY too big for just the flak jackets...
Sorry for the long post about the insignificant part of my recent purchase...my first pair of Oakleys! (Flak Jacket Asian Fit Rootbeer VR28 Black Iridium Polarized!!!YAY!)

That is a very nice start to your Oakley collection! I myself have wondered if the cases with grooves in them can scratch lenses, but a very trustworthy source told me they are perfectly safe. Welcome to the forum!

be careful. The soft vault with inserts can scratch a lens. i keep all lens in a microbag for safety.

She (store manager) was said that the older (around 2007) cases never had a problem, just the newer one.
My biggest beef though, is if they went so far as to actively pull them from stores, why haven't they changed the site description?
Oh, and anyone know the Asian fit frames would fit all of the "fitted" cases?

Dunno. She didn't say how recently that was. One phone rep I called pretty much said "yup, they've been like that lately"
Me-"but the website still says blah blah storage for lenses etc"
Him-"yup...they'll update it eventually" [tough $#!+]

The second time I called though, the guy I got was like "if that's what our site said when you bought it, then that's what you should get!"
Sent me an RMA ups label and set up an order to ship once the tracking info got to them. (Grey, since he said they were out if black)
So I just dunno if I should send mine back or not...wonder if the foam is/was different for the Asian fit frames...
Maybe I can just take it to the store and exchange for the pill-shape case if it doesn't...

I have multiple pairs of Flak and Half Jackets so have numerous cases (6 I think) from various years from 2004 to 2013. As far as I can see there are 3 styles. One with cut out for lenses, one with cut out for the lenses and legs and one that's completely empty i.e. no foam.

My experience is that lenses do get marked when in the foam inserts. I wouldn't say scratched but there is definitely an issue there. This has happened in my older cases so its definitely not just a recent issue.

Neil

Hmm, thanks for the input! I think what I might do is, since he's sending me the retail case, get that, and then see if the Vault will let me exchange for the pill-shaped case. That one doesn't seem so big and awkward.

I get rid of the flak cases just for fear of scratching ...prefer lafge soft vault always ps If anyone needs a flak Vault w/ places for lenses pm me.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back