• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

***Official 2016 College Football Thread***

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Instead of bumping the same thread we've used the last two years, I decided to start fresh with a new one this year... Almost didn't do one at all. Why?

The NFL thread always gets more activity than the CFB one. That's understandable. There's 32 NFL teams, while there's 128 FBS teams. It takes a lot more effort to keep track of what all's going on in CFB, and harder to find common ground with other fans across the nation, i.e. fans of the same team or rivals who actually play each other.

But I love CFB so here we go. 12 hours straight every Saturday watching multiple games, plus the others on other days.

This is the best time of the year, just before the season openers - anticipation is high, local sports pundits have been hyping up the local teams, nobody knows their team sucks yet.

Here's hoping for a good one. :drinks:

For you newbies who haven't seen the previous years' thread, my two favorite teams are UT (the real UT, as in Texas) and whoever's playing a&m (again, tamu).

Our season opener is a Sunday game, against a ranked Notre Dame. We got slaughtered by them last year and historically haven't beaten them since sometime in the '70s.

Local sports hype, there's some spin that we might actually pull off an upset. We have a QB controversy between an experienced senior who hasn't done well in past seasons and a very promising freshman who, well, is still just an inexperienced freshman. Notre Dame had some player drama this past week, which might be a distraction for them.

But personally I'm trying to stay realistic. An upset would be great, but I'm just hoping we can keep it competitive, not get slaughtered. Doesn't matter who's QB, if our O-line can't protect him he won't have much of a chance. And we may be really stacked on RB this year, but again it takes an O-line to create opportunities.

But the key to the game will be whether or not we can stop the run. They've got a strong running game and if they can run all over us, our O will barely ever see the field, it won't even be close.

Hopefully my Tigers can finish it this year in the Big Game and send Alabama home with nothing!!!!

I assume you mean Clemson? Yeah, I heard one preseason pundit predicting they'd end up #1 at the end of the year. They just need to stop falling apart when it really matters...

Then, speaking of a&m, they've had a bunch of missteps since the end of last season and nobody really knows how they'll be this year. Their season opener against UCLA will show us something.

I assume you mean Clemson? Yeah, I heard one preseason pundit predicting they'd end up #1 at the end of the year. They just need to stop falling apart when it really matters...
Yes Clemson would be correct :) not the fake LSU Tigers. I think we already proved who has the real Death Valley.

Yeah special teams and some stupid mistakes hurt us last year but hopefully this year we can bring it home.

For you newbies who haven't seen the previous years' thread, my two favorite teams are UT (the real UT, as in Texas) and whoever's playing a&m (again, tamu).

Our season opener is a Sunday game, against a ranked Notre Dame. We got slaughtered by them last year and historically haven't beaten them since sometime in the '70s.

Local sports hype, there's some spin that we might actually pull off an upset. We have a QB controversy between an experienced senior who hasn't done well in past seasons and a very promising freshman who, well, is still just an inexperienced freshman. Notre Dame had some player drama this past week, which might be a distraction for them.

But personally I'm trying to stay realistic. An upset would be great, but I'm just hoping we can keep it competitive, not get slaughtered. Doesn't matter who's QB, if our O-line can't protect him he won't have much of a chance. And we may be really stacked on RB this year, but again it takes an O-line to create opportunities.

But the key to the game will be whether or not we can stop the run. They've got a strong running game and if they can run all over us, our O will barely ever see the field, it won't even be close.
Oh holy hell its begun!!! The biggest ND football fan you may have the extreme pleasure of knowing is now in the building.

Yes we've lost 6 players in the last 5 days because well they are god damn knuckleheads. The best part is that only 1 maybe 2 were going to be starters. Max Redfield was listed as the 8th best safety in CFB and now he's gone. I think the only drawback here is our depth chart is now real thin. All 6 players were defensive players with most being safeties and cornerbacks. Those positions are ones of concern for us even prior to the arrests.

I will say that I'm not expecting a blowout by ND being it's the season opener and it's on the road. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Texas won the game outright.

Either way Go Irish!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh holy hell its begun!!! The biggest ND football fan you may have the extreme pleasure of knowing is now in the building.

Yes we've lost 6 players in the last 5 days because well they are god damn knuckleheads. The best part is that only 1 maybe 2 were going to be starters. Max Redfield was listed as the 8th best safety in CFB and now he's gone. I think the only drawback here is our depth chart is now real thin. All 6 players were defensive players with most being safeties and cornerbacks. Those positions are ones of concern for us even prior to the arrests.

I will say that I'm not expecting a blowout by ND being it's the season opener and it's on the road. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Texas won the game outright.

ND has definitely been in the headlines lately for the wrong reasons but like you said most weren't starters so hopefully doesn't cause to much shifting in the lineup.

Operationally y'all definitely have an advantage, with seven years of the existing coaching staff developing their system and the team. And you've got some starters that were injured last year coming back. While we're with a 3rd year coach and our defensive staff is the same as last year, when our defense was like a sieve, and our offense has a brand new coaching staff who's implementing a new offensive scheme. Lots of things still need to be proven on our side.

Latest Posts

Back