• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

***Official 2016 College Football Thread***

I think they got the playoff wrong. They've emphasized winning your conference and head to head but yet they put Ohio St in over Penn St?? Penn St beat them head to head and won the conference! I think the committee proved their bias with that move.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Penn State's comeback win over Wisconsin was a pretty good watch.

I was listening to Cowherd earlier while he was talking about that - he was claiming you have to grade the losses. Ohio State's loss to Penn was a close one, a blocked kick run back for a TD. While Penn St got blown out by 39 points by Michigan and also lost against 8-4 Pitt. And on the win side, OSU had more wins against top 10 teams.

Either way I'm still for an 8 team playoff. Include the conference champs of the Power 5 plus three wildcards then let them settle it on the field.

If you have an 8 team playoff, would penn state of been ranked ahead of Ohio state for the bracket since they won their conference?

I think the #2 team in the country MUST play in their conferences championship game, or else its pointless. The way the conference does the championship is the problem. Penn St vs Wisconsin? If Ohio St played Penn St or wisconsin the week after playing michigan to 2 OT, they wouldnt of stood a chance IMO. They kind of dodged a bullet by not playing in it... They failed to win their division within their conference, so they get a bye week into the national championship playoff??? Doesnt seem right. Not that they don't deserve to be in the playoff, but they had almost no scenario that could of knocked them out going into championship weekend. Meanwhile, Penn State fought for their lives, only to have their fate determined by the other 3 teams winning fairly easy conf championship games.

Either way, 3 or 4 Big Ten teams deserved to be in the playoffs(including wisconsin in the top 8), so hopefully this is the year that makes them realize they need a REAL playoff!

Back when they were first crafting the current playoff system, there was a proposal to only consider conference champions. It lost the vote, instead the current system was elected. No longer do we have group think poll voters or computer formulas, but a small group's subjectivity. It's both the frustration and value of a committee designed to be "flexible" around season-specific circumstances. The same would apply to the 3 at-large berths in a 5+3 eight team playoff.

Back when they were first crafting the current playoff system, there was a proposal to only consider conference champions. It lost the vote, instead the current system was elected. No longer do we have group think poll voters or computer formulas, but a small group's subjectivity. It's both the frustration and value of a committee designed to be "flexible" around season-specific circumstances. The same would apply to the 3 at-large berths in a 5+3 eight team playoff.

True. But at least it would be happening to true wildbcard teams, not top-4/5 teams.

No matter what playoff system is in place Schools, Teams and Fans will complain that their team should be in the final 2 or now the final 4. If they expand it to 8 the number 9th and 10th school will complain. It never ends.
Do I think it is a perfect system, NO!! But it is the best that we have right now. Think about NCAA basketball. They take 65 schools and bubble teams complain. You know the ones that are the 66th thru the 70th best teams.
Those teams NEVER win!! They don't ever.

It would be, never ending. Heck USC is probably the 2 or 3rd best team in the nation right now but they have 3 loses. They also beat the 2 teams that were in the Pac 12 Championship.

Penn State still got invited to one of the best bowl games there is next to the National Championship. The ROSE BOWL!! Not bad right.
Here is the thing. They play USC. They will get Boat Raced by the Trojans!! They have not played a team with that much talent and speed.
USC will win by 17 to 20 points.

We have now a system that affords you one slip up. One loss and you can overcome it to still get in a 4 team playoff. An 8 team playoff would diminish the regular season too much. No one cares about regular season basketball, no one! A 14 loss team last year made the final four!! College football has the greatest regular season of any sport because every week, every game matters. I don't want that diminished any further. 4 teams is working fine.

Mark my words though, when there is two teams in the SEC like in 2011 (Bama/LSU) or 2012 (Bama/UGA) that are clearly and unquestionably two of the best 4 teams in the country everyone outside of the sec will be yelling from the rooftops about winning your conference championship in order to get in! Hell 2011 is the very reason we have the playoff right now today!! But its okay for Ohio St??

I understand the argument about records and sos and all but Penn St done what they were tasked to do within the system given....Ohio St simply did not! Had Penn St not won the big 10 I would be fine with OSU getting in over Wisconsin because they beat Wisconsin on the field. Its a different argument with Penn St.

Plus if the committee really wanted the best teams in the playoff, red hot USC would be in all day! Who seriously thinks USC wouldn't beat Washington, OSU or Clemson right now?? If they played Bama again they probably wouldn't win but it would be a completely different game without a doubt!

It just feels like exceptions and excuses were made in order for what everyone knows is the media's darling program to automatically be in. It just doesn't sit well when we consistently hear "conference championships matter, head to head matters and most deserving matters."

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Im not sold on USC yet. They lost to Stanford and utah, barely beat colorado, and got trounced by alabama. Than got a misleading win over a Washington team thats nowhere near as good as their #4 ranking... Im just not sold yet.

Penn State on the other hand, is 2-1 against top 10 teams and played a much tougher schedule, and is more "battle tested" than USC right now. To say that they "havent played a team with as much talent as USC" yet, is plain fiction. Michigan and Ohio State are 2 schools that both recruit over USC right now. I also don't doubt that they will come ready to play, as fired up as they got for a pointless conference championship game. That being said, speed is the one thing that can give Penn State problems, and USC has alot of it. I expect a classic rose bowl match up where the Big 10 team tries to control the clock and impose their will by keeping the ball, and the PAC-10 team tries to score as fast as they can.

USC is just lucky they dont have to play Michigan in this game... their home field advantage wouldn't win it for them, like it may over Penn State.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard an interesting stat on the drive home yesterday - the AP has been crowning a national champion since 1936. In all that time, how many times has a two-loss team won it? Twice. 2 out of 80.

The point being that historically if you get two or more losses, you're out of the hunt. We may be using a "new" system these days, but the precedent is well established.

Wakeyleaks???

Father of Wake Forest QB concerned leaks put son in danger

Former assistant coach/radio show host leaked some plays to the opposition. Looked like Louisville benefited most from it.

Sent from Q's Note5

Yeah that's been all over talk radio. It was the Louisville game where they found out about it, but other games will be investigated. The found the cards with the plays on it on the Louisville bench before the game so they decided not to run any of those plays, which were new ones they'd put together for the Louisville game.

Latest Posts

Back