• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

(Official) --- No Exclusions --Artist Series Collection List

Pointing out once again, no Caia Koopman Forsake. If Oakley doesnt call it an artist series, why should we.
Oakley doesnt even call Petterson an artist series. Its a "Handcrafted artist series of frogskins"
STPL IS an artist/marketing guy. His line isnt considered artist at all. Even though he designed them

maybe just to stir the pot a little, just a tad. notice how the RW Dispatch is listed as Limited Edition on the website? the only mentioned abt it being under the Artist Series banner was when the teaser came out, long long time ago. =) don't get me wrong, i still think the RW Dispatch falls under the AS Banner.

i for one, thinks the AP frogs comes under the AS as well. its really up to individuals to how they wanna classify the series, there will always be grey areas. unless someone can get an O-Employee, from higher management, to give an Official List, then maybe we'll all agree on it?

with that said, smashing list complied alcapon1! i for one, knew you would include all the other AS stuff, like the tees etc..now..that would be a Complete Collection! haha! i for one, considered myself completing the AS when i got the 16 pairs, plus one AP frog. that was before the RW Dispatch was released. but since the collection have been broken up, guess i'll just say my 2 cents worth, and that's abt it. =)

it will probably come down to what is in the o review database. oakley just points people there to look for info anyway. whever will be listed there will likely be looked at as the final list.

Pointing out once again, no Caia Koopman Forsake. If Oakley doesnt call it an artist series, why should we.
Oakley doesnt even call Petterson an artist series. Its a "Handcrafted artist series of frogskins"
STPL IS an artist/marketing guy. His line isnt considered artist at all. Even though he designed them

This is a little funny to me....It states "ARTIST SERIES' in the darn title for pete sake. The list is items that are 'associated' with the artist series, ASSOCIATED. You are splitting a micro hair but the fact that people do include them in such a debate only drive this point home. If you collect AS, you want them. Sorry if this opinion does not resonate with you but you prove my point. C100 goggles are not included as well right? even thought they are artwork from Christian and then David Flores was a "signature" and never Officially AS and even withdrawn,yet you include them in the official list? There is no exact logic based on collecting other then this. I do believe this exemplifies the characteristics of items that are collecteable in the series. Its up to the collector to decide how far they want to take it but none the less a Petterson is way better with a "Complete" collection then without.

Here is the facts. Petterson produced a series of sunglasses, he is a well known artist who learned to paint Oakleys from Hans at Oakley and from Chip Foose. They cataloged and numbered all pairs and listed as Artist Series in the event. Artist at night and O store release were customized yet never cataloged or numbered which know body knows the number of existing pairs so they are not an editions yet I still think they represent the most outer fringe of the AS.

i think this is something we all have to agree to disagree. i do not agree with the arguments that the petersons should be included in the lineup but i can respect those who say they want it included.

i do think it is a misinterpretation of what they meant when they say it is artist series frogskin. from what i gather from the marketing years ago it was them saying it is a "SERIES of FROGSKINS made by one ARTIST" rather than "FROGSKINS that are part of the ARTIST SERIES". it was a line unto itself rather than part of another one. it was meant to be unique. but i can see it if one wants to interpret in another way as well.

i also disagree with the o store artist editions. they are exactly like the peterson frogskins. they were cataloged. they were hand painted. they had a sku attached to it so it can be sold in stores. each artist only made a handful each. limited in distribution. the only difference between them is they were not numbered but that is hardly a characteristic of a artist series.

to me the petersons are more of an artist custom than an artist series release. but as mentioned we can all agree to disagree

Still isnt an artist series. Keep side stepping the Koop's too.
Why did you even start this thread? everyone just got through arguing about it in a another thread. literally the night before.
POP cards and tshirts? really?

alcapon1 I think you have provided good information in the first post of a well thought up thread and I have certainly gained some useful information about the related AS. You have taken time and effort to impart useful subject matter which I hope many can appreciate. A train of thought I use myself to manage my own collection, in particular in regard to collecting sets, is to make two simple divisions; production, and non production releases. If someone told me they had a complete AS set, I would expect them to have all the official releases, which would have been sold via a business. These items seem to be agreed upon among us with the exception of the Petterson 50 pair Frogskins. From my point of view, it was an official issue, sold in stores, with an artist behind it, and Oakley have stated they were AS, albeit "hand-crafted". The 50 were all of the same release, NOT 50 different releases, so if you have 1 pair, you have it, any more is a bonus. This was a 'production' glass. Now, some non production pieces include; +red Kozik Hijinx, night time pairs, hand painted Beyond Reason Frogskins, the 50 pairs entered to compete for the UK exclusive, resulting in the production WITK Hijinx, the pink & white Flores Gascan, Maya Hayuk Grapevine, polished Chantry, and likely others as well. These non production issues were not sold in stores, were made in micro quantity, and were not available to the public for purchase. Another analogy could be...a collector states he has ALL the Jawbones, which I would take to mean all the production issues, but I cannot conceive of anybody having every single pair including the non production issues, eg one off pairs for athletes etc. To me a general guide for a complete set is all the official issues, which are accountable, have a known number, and do not run off into the lesser known world of the prototype, samples, rep pairs, custom issues, Dr Chop, tiny hand out numbers for sports people etc.
As an aside, I remember some years ago being aware that the White City Supreme Frogskin was an artists pair, that there was a name of the person who designed the frame, and at that time there were fewer AS issues and that I had them all, and that this was part of that set. I remember thinking it was the best one, as that frame is just fantastic with the vibe of the heat and bustle and noise and the need to imagine a big picture of the greater part of the scene. Mind bending glass!! The microbags for the Supreme's were all of that frame as well, maybe I can unearth some more information on it from my Oakley literature material to establish evidence. I am not saying this is AS, but I have some confidence in my memory of it being so, but can't recall the facts behind that belief.

alcapon1 I think you have provided good information in the first post of a well thought up thread and I have certainly gained some useful information about the related AS. You have taken time and effort to impart useful subject matter which I hope many can appreciate. A train of thought I use myself to manage my own collection, in particular in regard to collecting sets, is to make two simple divisions; production, and non production releases. If someone told me they had a complete AS set, I would expect them to have all the official releases, which would have been sold via a business. These items seem to be agreed upon among us with the exception of the Petterson 50 pair Frogskins. From my point of view, it was an official issue, sold in stores, with an artist behind it, and Oakley have stated they were AS, albeit "hand-crafted". The 50 were all of the same release, NOT 50 different releases, so if you have 1 pair, you have it, any more is a bonus. This was a 'production' glass. Now, some non production pieces include; +red Kozik Hijinx, night time pairs, hand painted Beyond Reason Frogskins, the 50 pairs entered to compete for the UK exclusive, resulting in the production WITK Hijinx, the pink & white Flores Gascan, Maya Hayuk Grapevine, polished Chantry, and likely others as well. These non production issues were not sold in stores, were made in micro quantity, and were not available to the public for purchase. Another analogy could be...a collector states he has ALL the Jawbones, which I would take to mean all the production issues, but I cannot conceive of anybody having every single pair including the non production issues, eg one off pairs for athletes etc. To me a general guide for a complete set is all the official issues, which are accountable, have a known number, and do not run off into the lesser known world of the prototype, samples, rep pairs, custom issues, Dr Chop, tiny hand out numbers for sports people etc.
As an aside, I remember some years ago being aware that the White City Supreme Frogskin was an artists pair, that there was a name of the person who designed the frame, and at that time there were fewer AS issues and that I had them all, and that this was part of that set. I remember thinking it was the best one, as that frame is just fantastic with the vibe of the heat and bustle and noise and the need to imagine a big picture of the greater part of the scene. Mind bending glass!! The microbags for the Supreme's were all of that frame as well, maybe I can unearth some more information on it from my Oakley literature material to establish evidence. I am not saying this is AS, but I have some confidence in my memory of it being so, but can't recall the facts behind that belief.

I want to see pictures of these pink and white Flores gascans...

Whats the official part of this thread again? official opinions?

dude, i actually answered your questions abt the Koopman Forsake in the other thread started by MeanBoss. but i'll do so here as well. =)

the reason y no one considers the Koopman Forsake as part of the AS is coz it was never listed as being an AS pair. it was strictly marketed as a Signature Series pair. the Ravishing was the only one clearly marketed as part of the AS. =)