• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"Old" M Frame Cracked.

dave m

Oakley Enthusiast
Any way of repairing these, just got them off ebay, with hindsight I can see the crack in the original photo, seller was selling for someone else, claims they didn't know about the crack opened a dispute with paypal/ebay but I really like this style of frame. I've got lots of m frames never had one crack on me before.
The smaller one is visible on this photo, about a third of the way in from the right hand side, there is one at the same point on the LHS but it's more prominent from the back.If you try to put them on they both open up and the lens is loose. (obviously) any ideas if they can be fixed etc would be appreciated.
TIA

Attachments

• $_1oakley m frames.jpg
    $_1oakley m frames.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 345
They're toast. You can try gluing them back together, but you'd be creating a new stress point which will either re-break or cause more damage elsewhere.

Cheers rust, it's what I thought (knew) deep down, just really wanted some of the older ones with "Oakley" on to replace the ones I broke sking years ago, my other pairs are later ones with just the "O" logo. Was hoping someone would say something simole I hadn't thought of! Shall try again for a refund (no refunds listed on the auction seller claims they were fine when they left her!). Note to self, ask questions and look at photos closely!!!

If you are not going to wear them a lot I believe they can be fixed. If they are for display only I know they can but it will take some patience to make it look good. Eitherway I believe you are due something back from the seller on them.

The ones with Oakley logos on the stems are Gen1, the most susceptible to cracking. Check the arms at the hinges for cracks. Depending on how much you paid if the arms are intact they can be worth a good amount, and will fit on any Gen1 or Gen2 frame.

A little bit of insight to this issue;

The fitting of the lens into the frame relies on friction to stay in place. The friction is generated from the difference in curvature between the lens and frame. During installation you set the hooks of the lens into the frame, then kind of press the lens and frame to snap them together. Both the lens (a flexible material) and the frame (a much stiffer material) no match in curvature, or are at least very close, and the sprung tension creates friction between the front of the lens and the inside of the lens channel in the frame.

Because the older frame materials were much more brittle you have fatigue set in. Due to the minor variances in lenses the fit may be quite tight, or almost too loose to stay together. A lens that needs a firm push and really 'snaps' into and out of the frame may feel like the preferable setup, but for these old frames it causes a higher likelihood of cracking issues.

The other main component to this is the fit on the wearer. Once again, spring tension of the frame is used to some degree to get the glasses to stay on the wearer's head. A wider head creates more stress. Putting the glasses on by pulling apart the stems really does a number to them. Putting them on over a hat likewise.

There are 4 main failure points to the old M Frames -
  1. The hinge, radiating outward from the hole that fits over the nubs on the frame.
  2. The stem, where it is thinnest under the earsocks.
  3. The brow of the frame, as discussed above. Generally dead in the center or offset to one side.
  4. The lens, in the corner where it cuts back to form the lens hook. Tiny imperfections in the cutting process can lead to crack formations from the stress mentioned above. It's also one of the thinner spots on the lens, and the most stressed.

I have a pair of the original M frames with the full OAKLEY name. Were in a safe for the last 25 years or so. Bought them for my wife for tennis and she took her ACL out and in the safe they went. Original sack also. Only thing not original is the nose piece. Is e-bay the best place to sell them?

I have a pair of the original M frames with the full OAKLEY name. Were in a safe for the last 25 years or so. Bought them for my wife for tennis and she took her ACL out and in the safe they went. Original sack also. Only thing not original is the nose piece. Is e-bay the best place to sell them?
Stick around here until you get exchange privileges. Plenty of collectors here that will pay a fair price and won't try to stab you in the back.

I generally detest dealing on eBay because you never know who will be on the other end and what their moral standard is.

Back