• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Olympian's R1s!?!

DylFin

Oakley Expert
So I was on the bay minding my own business the other day and a pair of trashed Romeo 1s came up. The seller said they were owned by Sir Matthew Pinsent (Rower - nearest in the shot), who's our very own sporting legend winning 14 gold medals throughout his illustrious career!
Now I've searched the internet and only found this image, which shows his team mate wearing a Titanium/Gold pair, so they were definitely used within the team, but I can't find any evidence that he wore a pair!
matthew_pinsent_3.jpg

I've managed to clean them up and add new rubbers, but the lenses were completely trashed. I might sell them in time or write to Matt and get him to send me an image of himself wearing them, sign it, and then sell onto a Matthew Pinsent fan! (now that option does sound a bit creepy!!!) ;)

Anyway's here they are in all their glory - Any Matthew Pinsent fans...? :)
IMG_2424[4].JPG

IMG_2427[1].JPG

IMG_2428[1].JPG

IMG_2425[1].JPG

Last edited:
Interesting story. I have heard of athlete issued R1s but they were ti and persimmon all the storied r1 have been TI not xmetal finish. It would not be far fetched to let the athletes have a choice of course.

Latest Posts

Back