• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

On The Glass Or Not?

Thanks everyone for the info, helps me with my obsessive planning ...

Looks like I'll be stashing away all the matching bags and getting a few go to bags to keep on my desk ...

Reviving my old thread because I'll be setting up a counter top (I know, not a "real" case, but it will have to do for now) and I'm curious as to what the rest of you do.

So ...

When you're putting your Oaks in a display case and you're not using stands, do you place them directly on the plexi glass shelf, or do you put something underneath them, like a microfiber bag for instance?
I place them on the appropriate micro clear bag ... Like a place holder ... And it also keeps the bag close when im on the go so i just grab the bag and my carbon case and im good to go...

Im def a NSW and i use all my bags with the proper frames ...

One thing i noticed is that when you pla on the micro clear, it takes more room then if you left em directly on the plexi or on triple stands ( à la @qtrain23 )

Yep, another vote for having a stash of go to bags. Some of which are in the countertop, others are with the non-displayed glasses in the drawer in which they reside for now.

I was thinking of trying to cram more glasses on the bottom tier without using stands and lined it with paper rather than putting them on the metal directly. They wouldn't be prone to scratching as much on the upper perspex shelves.

Before I had stands I did put microbags under most of the glasses.

i use almost everything . . .
depends on which pair i have in the display.
beside the old metal and black or matte clear plastic stands i use the boxes and also regular black microfiber bags. some glasses are just on the plexi or glass shelfs.

for the special microbags i have the plastic bag stands :)

we have so many options :cool-20:

hopefully you will show us the results of your obsessive planning soon.

I place them on the appropriate micro clear bag ... Like a place holder ... And it also keeps the bag close when im on the go so i just grab the bag and my carbon case and im good to go...

Im def a NSW and i use all my bags with the proper frames ...

One thing i noticed is that when you pla on the micro clear, it takes more room then if you left em directly on the plexi or on triple stands ( à la @qtrain23 )
I have searched ( NSW - definition of NSW by The Free Dictionary ) and even asked a co-worker, but still, I need to ask you, what the ffff does NSW stand for? o_O

i use almost everything . . .
depends on which pair i have in the display.
beside the old metal and black or matte clear plastic stands i use the boxes and also regular black microfiber bags. some glasses are just on the plexi or glass shelfs.

for the special microbags i have the plastic bag stands :)

we have so many options :cool-20:

hopefully you will show us the results of your obsessive planning soon.
will definitely post a pic after I calm down and figure this whole thing out!

Better off just sticking em in a drawer ...

:confused:

I use bags and nothing, depends on the shelf... I try not to put too many bags on the top couple shelves because I feel like it will limit the light that will reach the lower shelves if I use the light (this doesn't matter for the ones without lights). I fold my bags in thirds to save space, I use the bags if I really like the bag with the glasses or on the bottom aluminum shelf. I do like using the bags because as mentioned it allows for grab and go (I do keep a couple extras with the keys for those on stands).
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I always use stands, preferably 2.0 stands. Why? Because you can get more pairs in the same space and the circular design allows light to pass through - down to the glasses on the next shelf below as BHarry noted.
I try to center the top ones under the bulbs and allow the light to shoot straight down. Bigger stuff that block light goes in the bottom of the display as to not "grab up all the light" as Geddy would say about those greedy Oaks. (no pun intended, but it happened...)
That means no bags because they would block downward light. Speaking of bags, yes about 8 go bags that get washed about monthly. Amazing how much dirt rolls out of those bags but nothing like when you get a pair with the foam deteriorating. That sh*t is nasty.

Back