• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

- Opinion On These Ruby Lenses ...

They will hold their value, especially if I take care of them?

No - after you bought his earlier auction, he put up another listing with another pair. Using the exact same photos. Again saying the buyer would receive the pair in the photos. That you already bought, allegedly...

So what it means is he has a bunch of sets and he took pics of the best of the bunch and has been using those same pics to sell all of them. Which means the ones you get may or may not look that good. And if they don't, if I were you I'd file a claim.

This seller is legit and the lenses that he ships will be as he represents. He does take good pics, but as I tried to ease the OP into it is unrealistic to expect new generation lenses to look like first gens. If Zeke's expectations are realistic he will be happy with his purchase.

This seller is legit and the lenses that he ships will be as he represents. He does take good pics, but as I tried to ease the OP into it is unrealistic to expect new generation lenses to look like first gens. If Zeke's expectations are realistic he will be happy with his purchase.

I am fully aware of the "different generations", etc., when it comes to lenses, especially, & most importantly for this convo, the Ruby lens.

I have gotten nearly a handful of PMs, e-Mails, etc., from folks saying they look great, ... & I fully understand that can only be an opinion of someone looking on their screen with its particular adjustments, etc., plus I have gotten great info from folks telling me, including here, that this Seller is a good guy - So I am good to go, & we will see. I feel fine, but I will ask a question, & maybe someone has a ssolid answer, & why, or maybe not ...

Is there any chance these could be some "first gen" goodness? Or is it somewhat safe to assume if they were, they would be worth more that eighty beans?

@kronin323
@Manish
@Dieseltech
@xmetalmaniac

I am fully aware of the "different generations", etc., when it comes to lenses, especially, & most importantly for this convo, the Ruby lens.

I have gotten nearly a handful of PMs, e-Mails, etc., from folks saying they look great, ... & I fully understand that can only be an opinion of someone looking on their screen with its particular adjustments, etc., plus I have gotten great info from folks telling me, including here, that this Seller is a good guy - So I am good to go, & we will see. I feel fine, but I will ask a question, & maybe someone has a ssolid answer, & why, or maybe not ...

Is there any chance these could be some "first gen" goodness? Or is it somewhat safe to assume if they were, they would be worth more that eighty beans?

@kronin323
@Manish
@Dieseltech
@xmetalmaniac

The XS itself was a later X-Metal release, so they weren't even making XS frames, let alone lenses, when the early Juliet, Penny, and Mars Rubies were first being produced...

To Ralph's point, yes, XS didn't exist during the so-called "1st gen" lens era. I have heard that some latter runs had good ruby, though. And these pics aren't fake so some do exist. And you may very well end up with a set that look like that. My point was, since he's reusing pics, they might not be. So pay attention when they arrive and decide whether or not you're happy with what you got.

So no, I don't think they're worth more than what you paid for them. But they could be in the future. Carguy, XMM, and others can speak to value better than I.

The XS itself was a later X-Metal release, so they weren't even making XS frames, let alone lenses, when the early Juliet, Penny, and Mars Rubies were first being produced...

That I do know (XS is the newest of the X-M's) ...

... & from what I had learned, the Ruby's became very "unreliable", etc., as time went on.

Was there a time that even some of the first X-Metal/Ruby's (2009) had semi-decent Rubes in them, or do the 1st gen Juliet, Penny, etc., just really, really stand apart from anything they ever did for a XS?

To Ralph's point, yes, XS didn't exist during the so-called "1st gen" lens era. I have heard that some latter runs had good ruby, though. And these pics aren't fake so some do exist. And you may very well end up with a set that look like that. My point was, since he's reusing pics, they might not be. So pay attention when they arrive and decide whether or not you're happy with what you got.

So no, I don't think they're worth more than what you paid for them. But they could be in the future. Carguy, XMM, and others can speak to value better than I.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Latest Posts

Back