• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinion - Ruby on Tincan/foil or wiretap

Glocker71

Oakley Beginner
Only combo I can find that's similar is the Ferrari on carbon Tincan. How do you guys think Ruby will look on satin black wiretap or tincan/foil carbon in satin black? They are prescription, so any colorway is available (almost). Thoughts or opinions would be welcomed. Ruby and jade are really the only tints I don't have that I like so far.

I get free prescription sunglasses every two years so I don't want to blow it on something that may look out of place.

Tempted to just do the prescription ferrari carbon blades, but the fragility problems and a little less formal look are holding me up with them... have enough sport frames already.

Last edited:
Hehe, I'm doing it the other way around; I need regular prescription glasses, so I buy a pair of Tinfoils, and let the optician take out the lenses and replace them for the (clear) prescription lenses.

Only combo I can find that's similar is the Ferrari on carbon Tincan. How do you guys think Ruby will look on satin black wiretap or tincan/foil carbon in satin black? They are prescription, so any colorway is available (almost). Thoughts or opinions would be welcomed. Ruby and jade are really the only tints I don't have that I like so far.

I get free prescription sunglasses every two years so I don't want to blow it on something that may look out of place.

Tempted to just do the prescription ferrari carbon blades, but the fragility problems and a little less formal look are holding me up with them... have enough sport frames already.
I'd go with the Ferrari/Ruby carbon frame as RX frames if they were available

Here's a Ruby-ish lens I had in my Wiretaps.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1404581321-920937-jpg.92685.jpg

Thanks for the responses. That pic helps a bit. Love the look of the wiretaps I have already. Little concerned about the spring hinge though... had some bad luck in the past, but so far my wiretaps have held up pretty well.

Thanks for the pic... beats trying to photoshop it. Im assuming that's a non oakley lense? Ruby should be a bit more red on that type of curved lense I would imagine.

Thanks for the responses. That pic helps a bit. Love the look of the wiretaps I have already. Little concerned about the spring hinge though... had some bad luck in the past, but so far my wiretaps have held up pretty well.

Thanks for the pic... beats trying to photoshop it. Im assuming that's a non oakley lense? Ruby should be a bit more red on that type of curved lense I would imagine.

Oakley's ruby lenses are known to have a wide variation. The early lenses tended to be almost all red, but lately you will see some referred to as "fruby" which is a Ruby lens, but the color looks a like mostly fire with a hint of ruby. Anyway, discodave can confirm, but I believe the lenses in his pic are Fuse brand. He did call them "ruby-ish". I actually bought them off him, and sold them since.

Oakley's ruby lenses are known to have a wide variation. The early lenses tended to be almost all red, but lately you will see some referred to as "fruby" which is a Ruby lens, but the color looks a like mostly fire with a hint of ruby. Anyway, discodave can confirm, but I believe the lenses in his pic are Fuse brand. He did call them "ruby-ish". I actually bought them off him, and sold them since.
Yep! The lenses in that pic were Fuse lenses. I had some cut by a local place here in the dc area as well for my wiretaps but they just didn't fit the bill. Gotta go with a big company who does it as their primary function. Preferably OAKLEY of course.

Back