• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions please!

Hmmmm... looks like we have a majority vote. 1st gen is a keeper. I was thinking the same thing! If and when I'll let the other one go, youll see it posted on the xm exchange. Mugh appreciaton guys.

It comes down to personal preference. Keep the ones you prefer to wear, based on looks or feel as the 1st gen with some lens wear but nothing major is probably worth at least the same, and probably a little more, than the newer 24-125, so you are likely to get about the same $ out of either sale.

I would choose the 1st gen as the cleaning marks are minimal and 1st gen trumps most others in most cases.

Also note: I personally do not consider most 24-125's to be 'dark Ruby', but I presume that descriptor is offered in comparison to newer, more 'Fruby' lenses...? I took that into consideration thinking your question through.
Thanks bro, yeah the lenses on the 5th gen are not fruby by any means. Thanks for the opinion.

Only asking, because I had heard that 5k and under serail had the highly coveted and very pricey red with some purple in them lenses. Snap pics of both may entice a buyer lol..
Doesn't really work that way with lenses. Some batches are better than average is all. Yes, a 1st gen serial <5000 is likely to be less fruby than a 5th gen, but so is one from batch containing serial 20000. Which might even be better than the <5000 pair. The colouring of ruby lenses is an inexact science/art and you get what you get. As a general rule of thumb, the older the better works, but I don't think you can put precise numbers against it.

Doesn't really work that way with lenses. Some batches are better than average is all. Yes, a 1st gen serial <5000 is likely to be less fruby than a 5th gen, but so is one from batch containing serial 20000. Which might even be better than the <5000 pair. The colouring of ruby lenses is an inexact science/art and you get what you get. As a general rule of thumb, the older the better works, but I don't think you can put precise numbers against it.

Agree.

And to answer the question just keep both dude! It's Ruby!! (what a good argument hahahaha :p)

Only asking, because I had heard that 5k and under serail had the highly coveted and very pricey red with some purple in them lenses. Snap pics of both may entice a buyer lol..

From the original (there used to be monthly threads on the subject from newbies) threads my understanding was the 1st 5k did have the more purple in the center Ruby lenses. From there on out the pairs got varying amounts, but nothing remotely close to the first 5k. That is why you cannot find any anywhere ever, and I have only seen one or two example on the forum that appeared to be close. Most of those didnt escape being worn, so scratch heaven. Will address @Carrera1963 point in the below quote ----

You are correct in the sense that batches of lenses came out at varying colors, Ruby, and some were better and some worse. However no batch ever came out like the first 5k of them. The time they spend in the coating phase is obviously determining the amount of color in the center, and the company making them probably takes them out quicker now due to demand. The whole debate between Ruby, Original Ruby etc... is likely to never stop. Its like the old car syndrome, the car you own is worth at least 4k more than someone else's, just cause you own it. To this date I am the only one to provide actual examples of what the Under 5k Serialized Ruby Lenses look like. No other Ruby lenses have compared to it. My serial is way below 5k and the lenses are New never worn. Don't ask how I lucked into that, it was pure luck. Here is an example of the color ways. First up on the left is a Positive Red lens, then in the middle is the coveted 1st gen Ruby lens, and on the right is the later Gen Ruby lenses.

The only way to get True color pictures out of a Ruby is to take them outside on a slightly cloudy day. If you don't you wont have a true sense of what level they are.
OEM Ruby Comp.JPG

Yes, it's difficult to capture the difference in pictures.
I'd also add that, even amongst 2nd generation Ruby lenses, there are differences. The hue can go towards the purple or stay in the red spectrum - never going as yellowish as Fruby.
1st generation and Fruby are relatively easy to detect but there are pretty awesome 2nd generation lenses out there too.

Latest Posts

Back