• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions: Tungsten Iridium Polarized Vs OO Black Iridium Polarized

discodave

Go Navy!
I recently bought a few pairs of identical glasses (wiretaps), and two of them are very similar. Tungsten Iridium Polarized and OO Black Iridium Polarized.

The Tungsten is browner and the OO BIP is more rose colored when viewing through the lenses, but they do look very similar when not wearing them.

Just wondering what everyone's preference is between the two.

OO BIP on Left
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403220322.852089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403220369.670270.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403220412.640750.jpg

I just can't warm up to the OO and G-base tints.

I have a Tungsten polar Crosshair and it's just pleasant to wear. Doesn't feel too dark, good glare and light reduction, and it doesn't feel terrible taking them on and off during a trip.

A forinstance: Driving home the path I take right now has a street that goes through some heavy woods, so it's almost like going from daytime to twilight. I usually pull off my shades. This week I've got VR28BIP and when I go to put them back on they feel very colored and dark. Tungsten feels a little more seamless. It's more of a classic brown that you'd find with some old Raybans from the 60's, but it's a tint that just dang works.

I have a Ten with Tungsten polar as well, it doesn't come out as often just because I have the Crosshair with the same lens and a few other Tens. Still a lovely pair.

The coloring on the OO lenses (and warm grey for that matter) is just too... something. Just a little je ne sais quoi that keeps them from feeling natural. VR28 lenses feel natural when you wear them for 5 minutes, it has harsh transitions when you go from wearing to not, or vice versa, but it's pleasant and the way it makes colors feel is just fun. How reds and yellows just seem to glow. VR28 when the colors start in fall is THE BEST sunglasses experience. The OO and G- lenses feel like they want to do that, but it doesn't. It's just a color filter. No pizzaz or panache.

I won't get in to Warm Grey. Blech. No bueno.

As I look at my collection and how it has evolved I think it's telling of lenses that I prefer. I've owned almost every lens Oakley has made. If I had to choose 3 tints to parse things down to I think right now that choice would be BIP, WIP, and deep blue. Oh, but there's no VR28 in there... ok, 4 top lenses are BIP, WIP, DeepBlueIP, VR28.

A lot of people buy their shades for fashion and have a lot of Ruby and Fire lenses. I go for function. Black. Gold. Tungsten. VR28. VR28BIP. Blue VR28. Ice.

That's quite the decision u have to make there. These are two of my favorite lenses so I can't really help you here. I'd say keep both. I love the g base, it seems to really make the greens pop out and are just great for the woods and trails. I used to say, tungsten polar was my favorite but now I can't decide. Truthfully I only currently own oo red polar but it's very close to oo bip bc of the identical base lens. I agree with Rustpot in everything he says with the exception of his discontent with rose lenses. Quite the pickle you're in imo.

I've never had Tungsten Polar, but OO BIP is my favorite Oakley lens that I've had. Great to look through. I just got a pair very reasonably priced for my New Square Wire II's and they should be here shortly.

As I look at my collection and how it has evolved I think it's telling of lenses that I prefer. I've owned almost every lens Oakley has made. If I had to choose 3 tints to parse things down to I think right now that choice would be BIP, WIP, and deep blue. Oh, but there's no VR28 in there... ok, 4 top lenses are BIP, WIP, DeepBlueIP, VR28.

A lot of people buy their shades for fashion and have a lot of Ruby and Fire lenses. I go for function. Black. Gold. Tungsten. VR28. VR28BIP. Blue VR28. Ice.

Ok, you've got me stumped - WIP? The only lens tint that starts with W in the o-review db is Warm Grey and I know you don't mean that one...

Back