• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions Wanted On Next Purchase

I would agree with Rob and go with the Ducati XS. I have a pair and really like them. Anything in the Ducati line is a safe bet. Your price points on these is all over the place. You could go from $150 up to $450 to $500.
I love the transformers. But if I was to make a choice it would for sure be the Pitboss. Those to me are amazing and the style......Perfect. All choices to can't really go wrong.
Happy Hunting.

I think this is the wrong way to think about buying Oakleys. It's reminiscent of a scaplers mentality, not that i'm calling you a scalper :smile:

You can't expect to make money off buying Oakleys. Very rarely will you find a frame that will make you money, unless of course you buy it for way less than MSRP. If you're planning on paying retail for any of the above mentioned frames, you're most likely going to lose money on your "investment".

I think you should be buying what you know you like and what you can wear. Worst case scenario if you can't sell it, you'll at least be able to enjoy them. Let's say you buy a Gascan that you can't wear, but hope to make money off them in the future. What if no one wants that frame 2, 5, 10 years from now? Then you're stuck with something no one wants and you yourself do not want.

I don't even think Juliets hold their value well. Think about what Rob has already said regarding X Metals. You can find Juliets for $150 or less on ebay/CL. They cost $350-$400 brand new. The only metals commanding more than retail lately (that i've seen) are the Romeo 1's, X Metal/Ruby Pennys, and the Ichiro or certain special edition Juliets. Even these frames took years to get these for sale prices.

I dunno, i may be just talking out of my ass, but in any case, my bottom line is buy what you love and don't think about what you'll get for them in the future. Just enjoy them while you have them :smile:

Well said, SpliceD. I was thinking the same thing. There are far better thing to invest in than Oakley sunglasses. If any of the glasses did hold their value we wouldn't be hearing about the great deals and finds a lot of you guys have been getting. I've collected a long time and my advice is get what you want, wear what you want and don't be in a rush to buy just because it's a great deal.

Well said, SpliceD. I was thinking the same thing. There are far better thing to invest in than Oakley sunglasses. If any of the glasses did hold their value we wouldn't be hearing about the great deals and finds a lot of you guys have been getting. I've collected a long time and my advice is get what you want, wear what you want and don't be in a rush to buy just because it's a great deal.

Yikes, what if I am guilty of rushing to buy a great deal if I like it to wear? :)

I think this is the wrong way to think about buying Oakleys. It's reminiscent of a scaplers mentality, not that i'm calling you a scalper :smile:

You can't expect to make money off buying Oakleys. Very rarely will you find a frame that will make you money, unless of course you buy it for way less than MSRP. If you're planning on paying retail for any of the above mentioned frames, you're most likely going to lose money on your "investment".

I think you should be buying what you know you like and what you can wear. Worst case scenario if you can't sell it, you'll at least be able to enjoy them. Let's say you buy a Gascan that you can't wear, but hope to make money off them in the future. What if no one wants that frame 2, 5, 10 years from now? Then you're stuck with something no one wants and you yourself do not want.

I don't even think Juliets hold their value well. Think about what Rob has already said regarding X Metals. You can find Juliets for $150 or less on ebay/CL. They cost $350-$400 brand new. The only metals commanding more than retail lately (that i've seen) are the Romeo 1's, X Metal/Ruby Pennys, and the Ichiro or certain special edition Juliets. Even these frames took years to get these for sale prices.

I dunno, i may be just talking out of my ass, but in any case, my bottom line is buy what you love and don't think about what you'll get for them in the future. Just enjoy them while you have them :smile:

Mahalo Damon. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Up to this point, I've always bought my Oakley's to wear (and admire, lol), I don't really have any shelf queens. And maybe I worded it incorrectly, but I'm not looking to "invest" in Oakley's. I'm definitely not in this to try and make money. I fully understand that 99% of any Oakley line will depreciate, except for those rare cases such as the Romeo 1's, Ichiro's, etc. Then again, who knew that those frames would've blown up in prices and demand anyway?

I knew this would be a subjective topic, being that no one can tell what the future holds for Oakley's. Who knows, maybe the next line after x-metals will totally be the future of Oakley's, and the next biggest thing since the Romeos.

Your perspective is spot on, and how I started into this. I'll definitely keep buying things I like, for what I like to use them for. Otherwise, it really no use to me. Mahalo!

Then again, who knew that those frames would've blown up in prices and demand anyway?

You know it's really funny how Oakley collecting works. The limited and collab Frogskins command so much more over their MSRP. For plastic!

Then you have a Juan Pablo Montoya Splice that is selling for $600 on ebay, but then you turn around and see a JPM Gascan go for around $90. Ichiro Juliets go for at least $400, but regular Juliets go for sub $200's.

I just don't get it.

Back