• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Or Trade - Custom 24k Plated Mars Crater

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Seems strange that they haven't already gone to the Xman for a tune up. Why spend the money to do this mod then not go the extra step to make them wearable with a proper tune up ? Seriously ?
Makes me wonder if it is possible to actually make them wearable ? Why would someone want to pay that kind of money then have to assume the risk of being able to make them wearable ?
Who cares about the quality of the plating if this pair isn't a functional piece ? And why cheap out on non Oakley donors for a piece as gorgeous as this ??
You must have just got them recently ( ??? ) because not that long ago I was trying to wangle a trade for them myself.
Just thinking out loud. Feel free to counter.

Last edited:
Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
Seems strange that they haven't already gone to the Xman for a tune up. Why spend the money to do this mod then not go the extra step to make them wearable with a proper tune up ??? Seriously ?
Makes me wonder if it is possible to actually make them wearable ? Why would someone want to pay that kind of money then have to assume the risk of being able to make them wearable ??
Who cares about the quality of the plating if this pair isn't a functional piece ?? And why cheap out on non Oakley donors for piece as gorgeous as this ??
You must have just got them ( ??? ) because not that long ago I was trying to wangle a trade for them myself.
Just thinking out loud. Feel free to counter.
Sure its possible. It was one of the first pairs that was plated and actually has two coatings on it. I never planned to wear them so I didn't do anything to them.

Username Hidden said:
Sure its possible. It was one of the first pairs that was plated and actually has two coatings on it. I never planned to wear them so I didn't do anything to them.

Okay then so it would be fair to say that the plating has made the flex coupler non functional by reducing the play between the moving parts,cant help agreeing with in2xmetals that it would have been better to do the job properly whether the intention was to wear or not.
Afterthought - were they disassembled and plated or plated whilst still assembled?

Username Hidden said:
Okay then so it would be fair to say that the plating has made the flex coupler non functional by reducing the play between the moving parts,cant help agreeing with in2xmetals that it would have been better to do the job properly whether the intention was to wear or not.
Afterthought - were they disassembled and plated or plated whilst still assembled?
Yea I'm sure that's the deal. I had nothing to do with their creation but I've seen later ones and they are much better. Learned as he went I'd assume. Its a fairly easy fix for someone like xman to get them tuned for wearing. They were disassembled.

Yeah ,will be pretty easy to fix then and worthwhile ,fine looking pair.

Tons of thanks guys for flushing all that out for me, especially Q. Much appreciated guys, I can offer sending them to the x man if someone wants to go down that road.

I agree it's a shame such a beautiful piece isn't functional and it was my full intention to get it done initially. Alas, like many things on the to do list, it never got done.

Bumpers

Another day down, back on up! I am pretty flexible here guys, send me some offers! Anyone have a mint XX they want to move, or maybe a few juliets (or honestly a lnib XX or R1 would make me a happy boy)? Or how about some o-matter, maybe a few vintage minutes/fives/frogs packaged together, or even some JFL carbon fiber thrown in there? Metal for plastic and no takers?

would love to have these bro but budget is a little tight! lol!

I hear ya, then again you have the type of collection that could easily make me part ways with this bad boy! I know you have quite a few pieces that belong in my collection haha!