1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. That Others May Live

That Others May Live Oakley Beginner

Well, my Gen. 1 M-Frame's lens coating are peeling and I need advice as to what I can do about it. I've already contacted Oakley and seen what they can do so please avoid the "Call Oakley." line. I am intent on fixing it myself.

I'll put up photos as soon as someone tells me how to upload them from my computer.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

Sadly once lenses start peeling there is no going back.

3. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

yup but you can prevent lens peeling by actually cleaning your sunglasses after use instead of letting them sit in sweat and oil

4. MaukaRunner

MaukaRunner Oakley Enthusiast

Try reading this post:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/diy-modding-discussion/11166-giving-new-life-old-lens.html

Hopefully it will help. Just a warning though. It will take off all the coating and any iridium coloring and the lens will just be just the base color. Do not use any kind of polish as it contains abrasives and will scratch the lens.

Good luck.

5. MaukaRunner

MaukaRunner Oakley Enthusiast

When composing a reply there are a bunch of icons above. Third icon, starting from the right is a icon with what looks like a tree. That is where you can post pics. It has to be hosted on something like photobucket though since it will be from a URL.

Hope this helps.

6. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Buy a new lens if it gets too bad.

Unless it's a color or cut no longer offered.

7. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Usually thats just the anti-reflective coating that peels off. Not really that big of a deal...

8. baka2ph1

baka2ph1 Oakley Beginner

I'm going to dread that day if it ever comes for my ruby juliets...

9. seangee

seangee Oakley Beginner

Thanks for this post. I have a pair of polarized gascans that have rendered themselves useless due to the lens coating peeling, so if it doesn't work, no loss. I have both the 70% and 91% rubbing alcohol. I'm opting to use the 70%, I fear the 91% will etch the plastic too much (plus I know from experience the 91% will eat the bag and leak). I would not use acetone, it eats away at plastic easily. Here are some before pics. I will post after pics later. Original Lens Coating Peeling - uploadfromtaptalk1410619042643.jpg Original Lens Coating Peeling - uploadfromtaptalk1410619058121.jpg
    Wish me luck

10. seangee

seangee Oakley Beginner

Oops, meant to reply to a different post. I think the same one that maukarunner linked above