• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original Racing Jacket fit?

Seismic

Oakley Enthusiast
Tokyo
Can someone share a bit of info on the original Racing Jackets (the old,non-foldable version which were in production prior to the current Jawbone/Racing Jacket version)?

- How is the fit (tight/loose) - suits bigger head or slimmer face?
- Do they sit securely or do they bounce if you do sports?
- How is the quality of the nose pieces?
- How is the field of vision considering the full frame?

Any other things to note?

Thanks guys !

Can someone share a bit of info on the original Racing Jackets (the old,non-foldable version which were in production prior to the current Jawbone/Racing Jacket version)?

- How is the fit (tight/loose) - suits bigger head or slimmer face?
- Do they sit securely or do they bounce if you do sports?
- How is the quality of the nose pieces?
- How is the field of vision considering the full frame?

Any other things to note?

Thanks guys !
Hi. I was digging for some RJs info and found your post. RJs sit really tight on face. Mine is quite slim and still they are really tight. I use them daily for cycling and they are perfect. Didn't use them for running but I believe that they are still going to sit tight on your head. All the tightness comes from eararms so the bigger (wider) the head the tighter the fit. As for nosepieces there are 2 options. First are separated nosebombs and second is connected one piece. Some prefer the bridged some separated, it doesn't matter to me personally. The bridged version comes with water jackets and RJ PROs. The nose pieces are solid. I have 2 pairs and my brother also has 2 of them and some seem to be softer-more comfortable than others when you touch it by hand (don't know where it comes from) but all sit well on nose and they surely aren't soft s#!tty rubbers like some new oakleys have. I tried some new ones lately and you could literally stretch the nose piece to twice it's original size. There's nothing like that on old RJs. As for field of vision I think it's great. The lenses are big and if you really want to have a big screen you should pursue 1st generation of RJs (there were 2 generations which looked the same yet different size) if you can find one.
I'm a fan of jackets and dig for some info from time to time. Hope that you still need these info :)

Hi. I was digging for some RJs info and found your post. RJs sit really tight on face. Mine is quite slim and still they are really tight. I use them daily for cycling and they are perfect. Didn't use them for running but I believe that they are still going to sit tight on your head. All the tightness comes from eararms so the bigger (wider) the head the tighter the fit. As for nosepieces there are 2 options. First are separated nosebombs and second is connected one piece. Some prefer the bridged some separated, it doesn't matter to me personally. The bridged version comes with water jackets and RJ PROs. The nose pieces are solid. I have 2 pairs and my brother also has 2 of them and some seem to be softer-more comfortable than others when you touch it by hand (don't know where it comes from) but all sit well on nose and they surely aren't soft s#!tty rubbers like some new oakleys have. I tried some new ones lately and you could literally stretch the nose piece to twice it's original size. There's nothing like that on old RJs. As for field of vision I think it's great. The lenses are big and if you really want to have a big screen you should pursue 1st generation of RJs (there were 2 generations which looked the same yet different size) if you can find one.
I'm a fan of jackets and dig for some info from time to time. Hope that you still need these info :)

Slightly off topic here, but you obviously know your stuff. Can you tell me what the value is of an Oakley first generation Racing Jacket with Dark Chrome frame and G30 iridium lenses? I don't have the box, but the glasses are in excellent condition. Never worn. One tiny imperfection on right lens (imperfectly transported). I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Hello there. In my opinion 220 shipped within US would be a fair price. You may find those particular glasses listed at 350$ on ebay but listing and selling are two different issues :) My friend was looking for them some time ago and he might be interested in them but I don't know exactly. You still need 13 more posts and some time period I believe to get access into exchange thread and sell them on forum :)
By the way your glasses are 2nd generation RJs called PRO to be exact. First gen had the same style yet were bigger.

Hello there. In my opinion 220 shipped within US would be a fair price. You may find those particular glasses listed at 350$ on ebay but listing and selling are two different issues :) My friend was looking for them some time ago and he might be interested in them but I don't know exactly. You still need 13 more posts and some time period I believe to get access into exchange thread and sell them on forum :)
By the way your glasses are 2nd generation RJs called PRO to be exact. First gen had the same style yet were bigger.

Thanks so much for your feedback! It's interesting you say they're 2nd gen. The local Oakley store appraised them in April - the manager is a collector and he ID'ed them and valued them at a minimum asking price of $300. But, like I always say, market value is whatever the market is prepared to pay. So you may be right. Good thing I'm in no hurry to sell. lol Thanks again for your input.

Thanks so much for your feedback! It's interesting you say they're 2nd gen. The local Oakley store appraised them in April - the manager is a collector and he ID'ed them and valued them at a minimum asking price of $300. But, like I always say, market value is whatever the market is prepared to pay. So you may be right. Good thing I'm in no hurry to sell. lol Thanks again for your input.
IMG_0739.JPG

He was referring to that older non folding frame as 1st generation (the newer RJs/jawbones are probably 2nd gen in his mind) however there were 2 releases of non folding frames which looked exactly the same yet there was a size difference. I've even encountered die hard oakley fans who weren't aware of the size difference. It's hard to tell if you didn't have both in hand. If your frame is that dark shiny with vented lenses then it's 2nd gen. As for the price I agree that they are rarely below 300$ but I doubt that anyone would pay that price for them. Still hope you'll get the price you're looking for ;]

He was referring to that older non folding frame as 1st generation (the newer RJs/jawbones are probably 2nd gen in his mind) however there were 2 releases of non folding frames which looked exactly the same yet there was a size difference. I've even encountered die hard oakley fans who weren't aware of the size difference. It's hard to tell if you didn't have both in hand. If your frame is that dark shiny with vented lenses then it's 2nd gen. As for the price I agree that they are rarely below 300$ but I doubt that anyone would pay that price for them. Still hope you'll get the price you're looking for ;]

Thanks so much. I hope so too. ;-) Yep, mine are non-folding frames, non-vented lenses. 100% original - bought them new from a friend who was an Oakley-sponsored athlete and 8-time Ironman champion. I'll hold out for my price.

That's the frame. Hold on to it if there's no rush. I'm not into this CW but there are people like one of my friends who would die to get them :D 300$ is a regular asking price and I know thet he's hunting to score a better price. One day he'll get them cheaper and you'll get your price :)

Back