• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original Timebomb Movement

mmessenger

Oakley Beginner
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and hoping you might be able to help. I'm trying to find out what the movement in my Timebomb is. My crown went missing and Oakley tells me that they don't have the part any more. my thought is, if i know the movement, maybe i can frankenstein a replacement crown onto the TB while I hunt for a donor crown, or replacement watch.

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Thanks everyone. Think there is any hope, or should I just start hunting for a broken timebomb for parts? From reading through the forum, it seems like I could replace the capacitor (if I need to) and if I could get a crown / stem & crown (depending on what I need) my watch would be back in working order.

You can look for any 5M42 rather than specifically an Oakley one if your aim is just to get it up and running. The replacement movement may well have crown and stem anyway. Unless the TB's crown is signed and you specifically want an identical crown. One thing to be careful of is that, with spacers, movements can fit into a variety of sized cases and the stem always has to reach the outside of the case (obviously) for the crown to be placed. So even if you replace the movement, you might need to search for another crown and stem.

You'll probably need a stem - the crown can unscrew entirely and come off, but equally the stem can break and you lose a crown that way. You may also need a tube, the part into which the stem fits.

So although they have helpfully identified the movement for you, you still need to know dimensions of the crown tube and stem to look for a match, you can't just buy Seiko parts at random.

Last edited:
I was thinking that once I knew the movement number and info. I could talk to my local watch repair shop and see what we could come up with. In a perfect world, I'd love to have the original parts to repair/ return the watch back to an original state.

As an aside, it looks like the crown came unscrewed and I still have the stem so that may be a positive thing.

Back