• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Overthetop Owners

bigOak

Oakley Beginner
Im thinking about snagging these for a sweet deal this coming week. A few question for you guys:

1. How often do you guys wear yours?
2. What conditions do you wear them in? (Special events, certain weather etc)
3. How well do they hold up? (besides the peeling)
4. Do they hurt after a while? And will they leave a tan line? (being that I'm the only non-caucasian owner I know, I know this is unlikely, but if they irritate the skin, of course I'd like to know haha)

1) i tried them on, but never wore them out.
2) see answer to question 1)
3) mine seems to be holding up very well, maybe coz i just display them?
4) being non-caucasian myself, i can safely say, no irritation whatsoever, but i don't wear them, so i have no idea. but as long as by wearing them, they cover a portion of your skin, and if you're out in the sun, i'm pretty sure they will cause tan lines. =)

I had a pair and sold them.

To answer your questions:
1) Never. Far too impractical.
2) See above.
3) They are plastic with thin lenses, so hold up as you would expect.
4) They are wide so would leave a tan line. They will irritate you only because you will be adjusting them all the time. Every time you smile, laugh, grimace, or show surprise, for example, they move off your eyes.
So as long as you show absolutely no facial expressions they are fine. Therefore only really suitable for Terminators, Kimi Raikkonen, or Channing Tatum.

Well, just sold mine so that kind of answers the questions, but I'll add my two cents...

1) Only tried on. They didn't fit me right at all, the nose bridge was too narrow and the lenses would touch my eyelashes, plus they would fog up within seconds.
2) Same as above.
3) Held up great, because I never wore them, LOL.
4) I suppose like any other pair of sunglasses, if worn out in the burning sun for hours on end, they will leave tan lines. But...those would be the tan lines of a true hardcore collector, and a great conversation starter, LOL! As Mr. H said, they will move every time you make any type of facial expression, if they don't fog up on you first. I really think that OTT's were meant more for a display piece rather than a truly functional sunglass.

Here is my advice... I purchased them in 2001 when they released . Sold them in 2002 for less than what I paid . I have regretted it ever since until i recently finally acquired another pair , they were peeling though. I did get them professionally repainted and new lenses , I plan on wearing them out just wear high SPF lotion and you will be fine. Long story short they mean a lot to me , which means I love them and they aren't just a display model for me. I have never seen the purpose of purchasing something just to use as a display piece and not to use.

Me neither.
I'm a wearer, not a displayer.

I bought mine from a Vault shortly after they came out, when they practically couldn't give them away.

Bought for £60 as an oddity impulse buy.
Sat in a cupboard in their box until last year. Decided to sell.
Sold for £400.

Absolutely no regrets.

The tan lines look like you had a pair of balls on your face. Tragic. I love mine but be prepared to get some negative comments from strangers. Also, they are a pain in the ass to carry when you take them off. No resting them on top of your head.

I've never really bought any OTT but I'm in the same predicament as you are, but with all the suggestions and reviews I see no purpose on getting ones for the prices that are selling ate the moment, if I see a good option with a good price I'll get them in a hearth beat with out thinking about too much, hope you get a good price for your OTT

I've never really bought any OTT but I'm in the same predicament as you are, but with all the suggestions and reviews I see no purpose on getting ones for the prices that are selling ate the moment, if I see a good option with a good price I'll get them in a hearth beat with out thinking about too much, hope you get a good price for your OTT

Thanks guys, all your info is greatly appreciated. To clear up a few things, I'm also one who wears while collecting. Working for the company, you definitely start to develop the mentality that sunglasses are made to be worn. Even if they're collectors item. Also, last two things here: I will be getting these for around retail and although I will wear them, it definitely won't be anything more than just an occasional occurrence

Back