• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OverTheTop's Prototypes, early production, etc...

Big Hank

Oakley Expert
Indiana
Hello All,

Sorry for the long second post. I originally came here with one intent so I guess I should get it all out.

After cruising around eBay and then being sent to this site by a Oakley Rep, it seems I may have something pretty cool. My goal is to learn as much as I can about a pair of OverTheTop's that I have owned from way back in the day, maybe even before they ever got released. My original intent was to sell, sell, sell! when I saw what they go for on eBay. After finding out that people have an awesome urge to collect Oakley's and I happen to have a few..... I may just want to hang onto them with a little more background knowledge.

First off - I know I said a rep sent me here so you are thinking why not just ask him... I haven't talked to the guy in 11 years. It takes me contacting him through another friend. He was super busy then and I'm guessing he's even busier now.

What I want to know?
Are my OTT's more rare than others?
  • They do not have the pockets for the forehead pads. Is this something on early models?
  • They have almost zero lip on the iridium side of the lenses around the lenses
  • I purchased them directly from the rep while working in a bicycle shop. These traveled with him when Oakley went looking for initial orders.
  • Some of the detail looks more prototype than production
  • The finish is nice, but not Oakley perfecton
  • Would these have more collector value if they are not production?

To me these could be the highlight to a collection. Potentially a true rarity that is even more rare than the production models. This is why my pack-rat side thinks they may be hard to get rid of :)

Any input about these glasses is greatly appreciated.

Big Hank

Pics... Loaded from the phone. Hopeful they look good.

45f3b0cc-930d-8e91.jpg

45f3b0cc-932f-86a6.jpg

45f3b0cc-9348-476c.jpg

45f3b0cc-935e-abb3.jpg

45f3b0cc-937c-a416.jpg

45f3b0cc-93a7-cb84.jpg

45f3b0cc-93e9-2101.jpg

Look pretty legit to me, I've never seen any without the padding.

They have literally sat the way you see them in the last picture for (guessing) 11-12 years. I don't look like a cool guy that could ever get away with wearing something so awesome.

I can do more pics. It's the lack of pads, the vertical lines you see on the inside where the pads would be. The smudges in the plastic on the inside around the lenses (not symmetrical or consistent) More pics are in the works, it's so much easier to post them from the my phone instead of the laptop.

Thank you!

Oakster said:
Look pretty legit to me, I've never seen any without the padding.

First gen pairs didn't have recesses but just pads stuck to the insides

Big Hank said:
They have literally sat the way you see them in the last picture for (guessing) 11-12 years. I don't look like a cool guy that could ever get away with wearing something so awesome.

Like this? :tongue:
c891528e.jpg

Latest Posts

Back