• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

Hey doc,

I'm wanting to try some painting projects myself, but have absolutely no experience beyond the rattle can. I'm assuming your Iwata HP-CH airbrush is probably a mid to high end model. What would you recommend as far as the best overall, affordable airbrush kit to start with. I fully understand that the paint is just as important, if not more so if I want good results. I'll probably practice on some other plastics before jumping in with both feet.

Honestly, I would suggest an Iwata system like this:

Airbrush is the new NEO series which is entry level for Iwata, but holds it's own against any Devilbiss, Badger or Paasche around. Great airbrush and I just personally bought my Fiance one for doing cakes and baked goods
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CN
neoCNlg.jpg
If you plan on spraying metallics much, then I would suggest this Iwata instead as it has a bigger nozzle
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R4500
hp-cr.gif
If you need a compressor, then one of these is great, but pricey...
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IS-850
smartjet.gif
But in all honesty, I would buy one of these first...I prefer a tank on mine....Got my sone one for Christmas along with an airbrush and he's loving it. Just add a moisture trap to it.
3 Gallon Air Compressor - 1/3 HP, 100 PSI, Oilless
image_11989.jpg

Cool, thanks for the suggestions doc! I'll check out the options and start hinting to my wife for my b-day, LOL!

I just took a quick look at each link...prices started out good, then I reached the small compressor :eek:. I then went onto the last compressor/air tank you posted, much better but....Harbor Freight doesn't ship to Hawaii :sad:. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, I'll keep these in mind.

Btw, I'm assuming a moisture trap and oilless air tank/compressor are a must, if I want good results, correct? I guessing any types of foreign fluids liable to mix in with the paint while its being laid down is bad for a finish.

If you order online at all, Coast is by far the best priced I have seen around. You can probably ebay a bit cheaper, but those guys at Coast have their stuff dialed in man. They are beyond helpful and have all the answers you will ever need.

If you order online at all, Coast is by far the best priced I have seen around. You can probably ebay a bit cheaper, but those guys at Coast have their stuff dialed in man. They are beyond helpful and have all the answers you will ever need.

Mahalo, that's good to know! Saves me some time from shopping around. I'll be perusing the site tonight :dance3:!

They cater obviously to airbrush people, but also to painters in general. Love their products

How do you paint a textured plastic bumpers and some of the ABS plastics at your shop then that you can't physically sand? Works the same way for eyewear frames..... it is also ALL about your products, use top notch products and you will get top notch results.... use a rattle can and you will get the result of the effort that you put into it, which is not gonna be that good....

Heavily textured plastics like dashboards are pain in the a$$ to repair, if a dashboards is seriously cracked i often tell the customer to abandon the texture and sand it to a smooth surface or to replace a new one, i often sand it first, apply primer, spray some basecoat, then the desired color then clearcoat, if i do this to my frames it might be too thick from all the materials used, i might try primer > paint > clearcoat, can i use automotive acrylic/polyurethane paints on my frames? What kind of pain do you use on your frames

Back