• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

I think im going to grab one, but now I have a lot to learn, I dont even know how to begin to mix the automotive paint/ect, im gonna buy a ton of cheap glasses to practice on though.

it's not rocket science, but there is a fine line to walk lol. Don't waste shades to start...Just play around with other things for a bit. I started with R/C Cars...

I think ill spray the safety glasses I use for riding my bike @ night, they are like 6 bux and when I get good itll be neat havin some flashy safety glasses lol

dr.chop can you give me a quick break down of the paint:reducer:anything im missing? when you mix your paint im gonna go HOK as well

I wouldn't really worry about spraying any glasses right now. You really should get familiar with the brush, paint reductions, air pressures, etc. Best thing really, get some empty soda bottles, like smooth 2liter ones. Practice there. Still plastic, will give you something not flat, and is cheap and recyclable when done so no loss...Then you can better orient yourself with the whole process. as for reduction, it's not always the same, so it's all trial and error...no 2 jobs are ever the same in the human world.

I found a ton of plastic stuff I can paint that im not worried about how it looks, old xbox cases and controllers, lots of safety glasses, I like the 2 liter idea, hell milk jugs even. Im browsing for supplies tonight, Going to start purchasing tomorrow. Stuck at work late tonight lots of O/T though to pay for this adventure. And plenty of time to research the web.

anyone else thinking about trying airbrushing, the neo iwata or w/e is at hobbylobby and they have a 40% off coupon thro the 21st

Loving messing around with the airbrush so far, using the pearl paints from the hobby store, going to order some HOK pearls and metallics soon. Dr.Chop i am hoping you will share another secret. How did you mask or where did you get such a small star sticker for those stars? My gf wants me to try putting those on her xbox and we sat in the hobby store for an hour and couldnt find anything cut so nicely and so sharply.

Thanks dr.chop

ps the hobby clear coat is TERRIBLE, whoever is messing with this stay away. I had a really nice painted controller, and that stuff ruined it. oh well shells are cheap

Loving messing around with the airbrush so far, using the pearl paints from the hobby store, going to order some HOK pearls and metallics soon. Dr.Chop i am hoping you will share another secret. How did you mask or where did you get such a small star sticker for those stars? My gf wants me to try putting those on her xbox and we sat in the hobby store for an hour and couldnt find anything cut so nicely and so sharply.

Thanks dr.chop

ps the hobby clear coat is TERRIBLE, whoever is messing with this stay away. I had a really nice painted controller, and that stuff ruined it. oh well shells are cheap

Ummmmm, first off, any hobby paint is terrible for this application. Hobby, meant not to be used, but sat on a shelf for display lol. You have to be careful what you try and spray through that NEO...Great beginner brush, but very very limited. Trust me, I have 3 Iwata brushes and could use 2-3 more plus 2 spray guns. In due time though. After this wedding of mine is done, I can focus on more equipment. One step at a time. get yourself some HOK paints and start getting used to it. There is way more to it than just spraying. Wait til you run into mis mixed clears where you over or under catalyze it, or you over reduce your paint and blow a whole job in the last section...Tons of practice. Get books, watch vids, and practice. Waterbased/Waterborne paints are a completely different animal also, and everything can be temper-mental. It can be a "blast" once you start getting the hang of it, but can be beyond frustrating when you blow a $100 pair of shades into the trash by screwing up.

Back