• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Payments on PayPal using Friends & Family

X-Metal Beast

Premium Member
Lifetime Member
If you want to be protected pay the 4%. Most people here appear to be trustworthy, and I'm sure most of us are, but I rather be safe than sorry. Most of my purchases are X-metals, and I rather pay $16 on a $400 purchase than suffer for a few days. Moreover, many sellers/traders here are outside of the USA, so if you make a purchase from someone in Europe, and you do F&F, Paypal will not charge them any fee, but they will charge the buyer almost the same amount that you would've paid without F&F adding 4%, with the difference that without F&F you would've been protected.

Honestly, I would rather pay the 4% and be safe. There are only 2 people in here with which I have become good friends and only with them I will do F&F. With all the others, as much as I sympathize with you, I'm paying 4%.

When you buy from me or from anyone I will encourage you to pay the 4%, if seller requires to do so. If he/she doesn't mention it, then pay the price agreed and let the seller eat the fee.

If I have not dealt with someone I pay the fee for piece of mind but there are several members here that I have trust in and will use F&F.

It bothers me quite a bit that people ask the buyer to pay the 4%. Just ask for whatever the hell you want and add in a few bucks for the fees. I've passed on several deals because the 4% isn't accurate and it pisses me off. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that paying someone $416 for a $400 item doesn't actually get them $400, its still slightly less. I feel like I've shorted someone if I do that and I hate messing with the payment amount until it adds up to an even $400, or just a hair over. If you want $400, ask for $420 or something so you get your money even after the fees.

If I went to the store to buy Oakleys and they told me I had to manually add in the tax or something I'd punch them in the face. Asking someone to cover the fees deserves a punch in the face as well.

It bothers me quite a bit that people ask the buyer to pay the 4%. Just ask for whatever the hell you want and add in a few bucks for the fees. I've passed on several deals because the 4% isn't accurate and it pisses me off. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that paying someone $416 for a $400 item doesn't actually get them $400, its still slightly less. I feel like I've shorted someone if I do that and I hate messing with the payment amount until it adds up to an even $400, or just a hair over. If you want $400, ask for $420 or something so you get your money even after the fees.

If I went to the store to buy Oakleys and they told me I had to manually add in the tax or something I'd punch them in the face. Asking someone to cover the fees deserves a punch in the face as well.

They may calculate the tax for you, but they (usually) don't list the price with tax included... a product seems like a better value when you can list a lower price, hiding those add-on costs...

But otherwise I agree; just list it for a G&S price that factors in the fees...

They may calculate the tax for you, but they (usually) don't list the price with tax included... a product seems like a better value when you can list a lower price, hiding those add-on costs...

But otherwise I agree; just list it for a G&S price that factors in the fees...
I don't take issue with the tax being added in because I don't have to do it myself and hope I find the magical % that gets the exact amount they want. Also its the government so they're gonna take what they're gonna take. Paypal is different. If I tell you I'm going to wire you $100, I do it and pay the fee. I don't say "hey send me $10 so I can send you this $100."

It's not like anyone is twisting your arm and forcing you to buy something when you don't agree with the terms of the sale. Don't like it don't buy it.

And that's why my purchases here are few and far between. It either has to be something I really want or a deal that negates my annoyance over the fees not being included in the price. Doesn't happen often. If it did I'd probably have 10+ Juliets by now.

By the way. PayPal fees are 3% if it's a sale where buyer and seller are in the US. 4% otherwise. Sellers, STOP asking for 4% fees for US transactions.
Tracking and insurance also have to be added so 4% isn't that bad. U can always go to eBay

People bitch about fees are the same ones who won't become premium members and help this site grow and keep up with the maintenance fees

I don't take issue with the tax being added in because I don't have to do it myself and hope I find the magical % that gets the exact amount they want. Also its the government so they're gonna take what they're gonna take. Paypal is different. If I tell you I'm going to wire you $100, I do it and pay the fee. I don't say "hey send me $10 so I can send you this $100."
X times .96 = $400
$400/.96 = $416.67

For 4%

$400/.97 = $412.37 for 3%

Back