• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

PayPal Gift?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
Some sellers request that a buyer pay via a paypal gift (to avoid the 4% fee I believe.)

Question -

If you pay someone via a paypal gift, doesn't that increase your chances of getting ripped off because if something goes wrong, with the gift option, you basically have no recourse?

That's exactly right. I would only pay by gift option if I FULLY trust the seller. I can usually make that decision by the interaction of the seller on this forum and their feedback rating

I don't like to do it....but I have on this forum. It makes my a$$ pucker because you are screwed if something goes wrong. I would follow v2kjokerz advice, but you can still never be sure.

on the flipside though, it also protects a seller against the all too common "buyer's remorse" clause paypal has. Paypal is a catch 22 all the way. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

i think they only request it to get the money they want. you can always add the 4% and send it as a regular payment, the seller will still get the money they want after paypal collects their fees. is one of those things you gotta be careful. i havent had a problem so far with anybody i dealt with in the forum.

i think you gotta be more careful with the international purchases. Foleyness got screwed and his product didnt arrive.

i think they only request it to get the money they want. you can always add the 4% and send it as a regular payment, the seller will still get the money they want after paypal collects their fees. is one of those things you gotta be careful. i havent had a problem so far with anybody i dealt with in the forum.

i think you gotta be more careful with the international purchases. Foleyness got screwed and his product didnt arrive.

Agreed. I just bought a set from Hungary to the USA and I've been sweating bullets. If I paid with a gift I'd be screwed if they got lost or damaged, or if the seller decided to scam me.

I prefer the seller to send an invoice. It setups up an easy payment and all you have to do is make sure your shipping address is correct, no worrying about an email typo, no worry about who is paying fees, no worries about the seller screwing around with the price or changing details.

if I buy something online like CL, I will always ask the seller to send me invoice, if they decline then no deal. qBan is right, if you really do not want to send as gift, then pay the 4% PP fee. It's always gonna be a gamble when you sell/buy online, I have had my fair share of getting scammed, getting stuff not as described, etc... your just gonna have to be careful before dealing with anyone.

Back