• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pearl Trenchcoat Build

DustyB

Oakley Beginner
Premium Member
Hello y'all. I'm pretty new to the board, and have been working to fulfill a small dream I've had for a while… to buy or build a pair of Trenchcoats from the 90s. I had a pair of black/gold Trenchies in high school in the late 90s. I was tied up with something or other and couldn't make it to the local Oakley dealer to pick up the glasses before leaving town, so my mom ran out and got them for me. I wanted black gold/gold, but she got black/gold by mistake. I felt bad asking her to exchange them because she had already gone out of her way to get them for me, so I kept them. But I always wanted that black gold/gold pair. At some point I sold that black pair, though I don't even recall when/how. Must've put them up on Ebay in college, because I bought and sold a number of pairs of Oakleys online as Ebay was coming into its own, trying to keep cash flowing through the college years. But along the way I grew to love the pearl Trenchcoats. Someone on MTV during that time had them. I think it was a guy on The Real World. I've wanted a pair ever since. With the help of some great folks on this board (thanks to @Frogskins, @Steven Goldberg, @Rotten Ronnie and a few others who pointed me in the right direction), I'm finally able to make it happen, and I'm super stoked!

Here are some photos of the progress so far. Got a NOS orbital, used arms/stems and ear socks in very good condition that came off this broken orbital, which I may try to repair just to see if it can be done with a solid end result or not. Ordered some lenses from Fuse, because I plan to wear these and don't want to wear our OE iridium lenses. We shall see how those shake out. Stay tuned…

image_67513345-2.jpg

image_67530753-2.jpg

image_67533569-2.jpg

image_67538433-2.jpg

image_67229185-2.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Fuse lenses in a week ago, and they didn't fit. They popped in nice and easy… a little too easy. They wouldn't stay put, and I could see the edges of them on the left and right sides. I reached out to Fuse and they immediately sent another pair that are supposedly more curved. To my surprise, they fit. Fuse for the win!

That completes the build, unless I get some new arms to go along with the new orbital and lenses. But for now, I'm calling it mission accomplished. Really pleased with how they came out! And $$ invested totals right about what these cost new 25 years ago. So not too bad.

Some pics of the completed pair…

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

Got my Fuse lenses in a week ago, and they didn't fit. They popped in nice and easy… a little too easy. They wouldn't stay put, and I could see the edges of them on the left and right sides. I reached out to Fuse and they immediately sent another pair that are supposedly more curved. To my surprise, they fit. Fuse for the win!

That completes the build, unless I get some new arms to go along with the new orbital and lenses. But for now, I'm calling it mission accomplished. Really pleased with how they came out! And $$ invested totals right about what these cost new 25 years ago. So not too bad.

Some pics of the completed pair…

View attachment 1081834

View attachment 1081835

View attachment 1081836

View attachment 1081837

View attachment 1081838

View attachment 1081839

Send U.K?

For occasional wear and maybe cleansed destruction.

Back