1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Oakley Beginner

Hi , I have a old pair of inmates non polarized and the inside of the lenses is peeling. In 2010 I had surgery on a injury induced cataract and got a prosthetic lens for that eye and it has no UV protection at all . So my question does the peeling affect the UV protection? I read its the lens material itself that blocks UV rays . But I need a solid answer cause I can actually go blind if that eye aint protected.

I just ordered a new pair of Plaintiff squared polarized Lead / Iridium yesterday but I still need the eye protected till they get here.

What say you oakley forum ?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Polycarbonate material is UV resistant. The coatings are anti-glare, anti-scratch and some other stuff.

UV is wavelengths under ~400nM.

Polycarb transmission chart
    Peeling Lenses Affect UV Ressistance? - Makrolon-Sheet_transmission.jpg

Light spectrum

Last edited by a moderator: 5/21/14
    Gh0zt36 likes this.
  3. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Oakley Beginner

Thanks for the info . So peeling lens shouldnt be an issue then . I def dont wanna go blind in that eye.

5. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Peeling lenses is not an issue, because the protection is in the plastic itself. The peeling material is the Anti-Reflective coating, which just reduces glare.

gene and Gh0zt36 like this.