• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Peeling Lenses Affect UV Ressistance?

Gh0zt36

Oakley Beginner
Hi , I have a old pair of inmates non polarized and the inside of the lenses is peeling. In 2010 I had surgery on a injury induced cataract and got a prosthetic lens for that eye and it has no UV protection at all . So my question does the peeling affect the UV protection? I read its the lens material itself that blocks UV rays . But I need a solid answer cause I can actually go blind if that eye aint protected.

I just ordered a new pair of Plaintiff squared polarized Lead / Iridium yesterday but I still need the eye protected till they get here.

What say you oakley forum ?

Polycarbonate material is UV resistant. The coatings are anti-glare, anti-scratch and some other stuff.

UV is wavelengths under ~400nM.

Polycarb transmission chart
Makrolon-Sheet_transmission.jpg

Light spectrum

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info . So peeling lens shouldnt be an issue then . I def dont wanna go blind in that eye.

Peeling lenses is not an issue, because the protection is in the plastic itself. The peeling material is the Anti-Reflective coating, which just reduces glare.

Back