• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Has Seen Better Days - Advice Please

oakoakley

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum. I stumbled across this place earlier when looking for Penny lenses. From the looks of it XMetalManiac does lenses and The X-Man works on frame issues.

I've had this penny for about 10 years now. The metal finish is in pretty good shape, but the lenses are scratched to hell (they are worse than the pictures show), the nose is loose and the rubber parts for the nose grip are missing.

I've been looking at Mark's thread and I'm thinking about sending it to him to fix the nose issues and possibly changing the colors. Anyway, I wanted some advice from other penny owners.

Also, I couldn't find XMetalManiac's details for ordering lenses. Are his the best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Dr.Chop has some +Red Penny lenses avialable right now.... Xmetalmaniac will custom cut you a lens in pretty much any color you want.
You'll have to PM either of them and let them know what you're looking for so ou can work out the details...

Nice. Does XMetalManiac have a thread of his work? How do these compare with linegear (which I saw was mentioned in a few threads).

I don't know exactly what I want, but I think something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are Linegear lenses in the picture.... Oakley +Red lenses are a similar color.
Xmetalmaniac will cut Penny lenses in almost any color from other Oakley lenses...

In my opinion... Nothing is better than OEM Oakley lenses. Linegear is a close second.

I'm not sure if Xmetalmaniac has a specific thread for his custom cuts.... But Dr. Chop does.

See this thread here...
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/custom-penny-and-x-squared-lenses.18494/

Hm. I don't seem to have permissions to view that thread. Maybe because I am new?

Yeah sorry about that.... Send Dr. Chop a PM and he can send you pics and details.

I believe you have to be a member for a while and have a certain number of posts before you can view the exchange area.

What about the rubbers for the nose? I tried searching but didn't get very far. The side rubbers are in pretty good condition, but I lost both of the nose pieces years ago.

I went ahead and sent PM's to XMan and XMM. I'm going to hold off on Dr. Chop unless you think he is better than XMM. I spent an hour or two on here before joining, but I'm new to all of this. I was actually going to buy a new pair of Oakleys today but I just don't like the new styles. I was also informed that they are no longer making metal frames in this style, which is seriously disappointing.

I went ahead and sent PM's to XMan and XMM. I'm going to hold off on Dr. Chop unless you think he is better than XMM. I spent an hour or two on here before joining, but I'm new to all of this. I was actually going to buy a new pair of Oakleys today but I just don't like the new styles. I was also informed that they are no longer making metal frames in this style, which is seriously disappointing.
Careful with the "better than..." Both are respected members that offer a service. Do some thread searching and draw your own conclusions as to which member you'd prefer to use.

Yeah... Pennies are long discontinued.

Flak Jacket nose pieces work for the Penny though.

I don't know who is better at cutting lenses... But I do know that Chop has cut a ton of lenses for other members (myself included) and they are very satisfied.

Careful with the "better than..." Both are respected members that offer a service. Do some thread searching and draw your own conclusions as to which member you'd prefer to use.
I meant no disrespect. I looked at Chop's Facebook and didn't see anything I immediately wanted. Also not being able to see all threads doesn't help.

I've been reading as many Penny threads, but it's hard to make a decision. I appreciate the feedback though.

Back