• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny question / serial numbers

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
I asked this question but in the wrong section, sorry mods.

If a set of Pennys don't have a serial number, are they not worth as much? What is the difference with those with serial numbers and those without? THANKS!

Harry

if you are talking purely about value, this depends on a few factors. Condition would be the major influence on any valuation, serialled or not, and if the frame was complete with box in great order, it would certainly hold its own.
For a collector, a serialled and complete and matching piece is inherently more attractive, but I certainly would not overlook an x metal in good order if a serial number was not present.
Valuations are always subjective and do fluctuate, but in an attempt to answer what I think you are getting at, is let's say a mint complete and serial matched Ice Titanium Penny, is worth $450 for example, the equivalent unserialled mint and boxed pair would be worth approximately $380-400, so yes the value is affected but only where top end money is being asked in the case of a full set.
For a boxless pair in decent order, the difference in value would be marginal.

If however we are talking about an X Metal Ruby - XM serial, the difference in value would be greater - 250-300 usd.
To my knowledge the VR28 Ti and Copper Penny were all serialised, so you have no problem with those pairs.

Outside of some limited editions where the serial is essential for confirming a pair actually is that LE and not a put together custom, I personally think the additional value of a serial is marginal. Maybe something like a Jordan Romeo, but just because a regular production metal is 5xxx instead of 5xxxx doesn't add any real value to me.

That makes me feel better....I went ahead and decided to get the NIB non serial version instead of the used serial version. At least I know the frame and lenses are 100% from the factory. Used is ALWAYS a gamble....especially when talking about the Pennys that are X-Metal with the Ruby lenses. Those are rather hard to come by...

Your choice at the end of the day, there's no right or wrong. My first couple of Juliets had plain arms, then an SKU pair, so I didn't get a serial pair until maybe the 5th or so. Nowadays, probably 1/2 to 2/3s of mine are serialled, but that's largely down to chasing specific editions.

Your choice at the end of the day, there's no right or wrong. My first couple of Juliets had plain arms, then an SKU pair, so I didn't get a serial pair until maybe the 5th or so. Nowadays, probably 1/2 to 2/3s of mine are serialed, but that's largely down to chasing specific editions.

Just to continue this a little. My first pair were (are) an unmarked XX bought new from USA (online) 12 years ago ish. Then luckily a friend of mine passed me a Plasma Juliet 'B' Serial frame for me to build up, and things continued from there. I'm new ish on here, but have been slowly collecting differing models with and without Serials / SKU's since then.

Back