• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Question

i am rich

The Silly Collector!
Don't mess with Texas
Is there ever a Penny without a serial number on them? 2nd gen?

How much are they normally with box and coin x metal frame ruby iridiums? And without box and coin?

My understanding is that the warranty frames came with no serials. There may be others that didn't have them but you'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge of them than me to chime in to know for sure.

As for pricing, you'll find prices with huge variations based on condition, colorway, etc. I've seen $200 on the low end all the way up to $550+ for some of the more rare pairs in like new condition.

With any substantial purchase being patient can often save you a ton of money when a good deal comes along.

They stopped having the serial numbers near the end of production for the Penny.

The X-Metal Penny tends to be rare, most are Titanium. They generally start at $200 ( Typically Titanium, without box) and go up from there, $300 + with box and coin.

I have a pair of Ruby X-Metals (Pennys) that had no number, nor did the box have a serial in the code.

DSCF4701.jpg

Argh. I got ripped off.

Serialized X metal, Ruby reds, no box, no coin $600
No serialized with box and coin, X metal frames, Ruby reds but purple hue on them $600.

You win some, you lose some.

I purchased a pair of Polished Penny in Tokyo back in 2001. The nose bridge became so loose as to be unwearable (shocker, right?) around 2003, so I sent them in for a tuneup. They replaced lenses as well. They came back with no serial number anymore, so I guess they just did a total replacement of the pair. I also had them tuned in 2004, again.

So... yes. Halfway through their lifetime (~2003/2004, they might not have replaced mine with a non serial version until the 2nd tuneup I did, I can't honestly remember) they stopped having serial numbers.

Hope this helped.

Back