1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Tsuius

Tsuius Oakley Beginner

Hey PENNY experts, I recently purchased a pair of pennies that has an issue with the left spring hinge arm. It opens much further then the right. It seems that there may be a part missing within the spring mechanism allowing it open further then normal. Out of three pennies I have seen this pair is the only one to have this problem.
    Have you guys seen this before and is there a way to fix it?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

take a picture of the inside of the hinge, one in lock position, one in flexed position

3. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

Sometimes I see this ,always the leftside too.casting deflashing issue.they remove too much material on the arm which is the natural stop.the spring and plunger only create the tension on the arms but the frame to arm stop is the culprit.probibly a newby grinding the casting gate too much.

Last edited: 2/19/14
  4. Tsuius

Tsuius Oakley Beginner

Here are the photos BriP. Hey x-man, is there a way to insert a small piece of metal to create the proper stop?

Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-5_zps6e3d44f7.jpg
    Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-7_zpsf1fe1f09.jpg
    Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-6_zps734f8dc2.jpg
    Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-4_zps442d9e46.jpg
    Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-9_zpsc63611e2.jpg
    Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-8_zps0b1c8528.jpg

Last edited: 2/20/14
  5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

well your spring mech is woorking fine, lets see whats happening on the outside (other side) of the hinge. and it wont be as simple as wedging something in there. if its what i think it is, you may need to somehow weld a small amount of material onto the arm. maybe get away with using the old frogskin method of dropping a small droplet of glue there repeatedly to build it up.. i dunno..

6. Tsuius

Tsuius Oakley Beginner

Here is the other side...

Penny Spring Hinge Arm Issue - PENNY-9_zpsc63611e2.jpg

7. Tsuius

Tsuius Oakley Beginner

8. THE X-MAN

My hypothesis confirmed the issue this morning.....the front of the arm contacts the inner pocket of the orbital to limit its overtravel.it wont hurt anything...it just is.i find these hinge designs to bee too loose, id sell em and get a pair of mars or juliets..or even a pair of rayban aviators. ?..lol

9. Tsuius

Tsuius Oakley Beginner

I appreciate your input guys!
    X-man, did you try to use another arm from another penny? I may try to do that but I remember reading on one of your threads that it was a pain and you needed something like three hands ;-)

Last edited: 2/26/14
  10. THE X-MAN

No....I have no problems installing these arms anymore....and I dont need three hands either.the question is...was it he arm or the pocket?????