• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Vs Juliet Size Comparison Question

ironremix

Oakley Beginner
Hi Folks,

I've been looking around the forums and I've seen people wearing both but I can't really picture how much smaller the penny is compared to the Juliets, if anybody can give some insight it would help a lot as I've been considering purchasing either a Penny or Juliets within the week - these will by my first X-metals :D

Anyway, I've heard that the penny doesn't really suit bigger faces but at what point do they start to look ridiculous? (how small does your face have to be exactly)

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Basicly, PENNY is the smallest frame among all X-Metal while JULIET is the most all-around X-Metal so far
As for the fit, it's usually about your head size (circumference around forehead) and what kind of head/facial type (wide/flat face or 3D/pointy face...etc) U are.

JULIET usually fits from 52cm to even 58cm, but only head size between 53~55cm will fit very comfortable. 58cm for JULIET appears be a little tight (even using the "15" sized temple shocks) and will cause too much tension on the nose-flex joint; less than 51cm might be a little loose on the temple, but using an "25" sized temple shock (both "15" and "25" size temple shocks come standard with every pair) will solve the problem. So basicaly, a small head is really not a big consern here.

PENNY will fit nicely for head size from 49~53. Because of PENNY's spring hing structure, it will also fit up to about 55 head size. But as the stem opens so wide and the temple will touch your head, it's not a good fit. The actor played the CYCLOPS in the X-Men movie has a pretty small head, which is not very typical even for the western people. That's why a design based on such a small facial size is a "hard to fit" on most people even for X-Metal fanses.

The size reference listed above are based on a standard facial type . If your facial type is wide and flat with a very low nasal bridge shap like a typical Asian, Both JULIET and PENNY will not fit well on your face as they tend to slide off your nose and won't have the right coverage for your eyes! Also, a facial type close to this should take 1 size up for a correct fit. E.G: U look close to the typical Asian facial type I mentioned above; When your head size is 53cm, U should consider it an 55cm head instead. So PENNY will not fit comfortable, but JULIET will fit nicely.

On the other hand, if U are the oppsite facial type: narrow forehead, pointy nose with high nasal bridge, than U can apply the size reference I mentioned above directly. Besides most X-Metal will look nice on U!

F.Y.I.:
X-Metal XX or ROMEO I will fit a larger head size and have more coverage for the eyes than JULIET.
Romeo II tends to fit pretty well on an typical Ansian facial type.
X-SQUARED has almost the same fit as a JULIET

All these are based on my experience over the years of owning some X-Metal and some of them from my friends also.
Hope it will help!

Great answer man, good to hear!

Based on your answer it seems that I might be able to fit into a pair of Penny's, 52"s fit pretty well on me and the Juliet's fit me quite well - despite being Asian my nose bridge is a bit higher than most other Asian's so I suppose I'm lucky there. Anyway there's a lot of really good info here and it really helped a whole lot, thanks a ton!

Glad to help.

Do remember to try those pairs before your final decision if possible. It's always the best way to find out if it fit U well enough.

And don't forget to post some Pics when U got your First X-Metal!

Yeah, will do, planning to pick up the Juliets first as those I've tried and they fit me pretty well already, I'll have to start hunting down the penny if i ever wanna get my hands on one. Gotta find a buddy or friend with a pair i can try hahaha.

Where are you getting the Oakley Penny or Juliet?

Welcome to the forum... Most of the older threads on where to purchase wont help much. Penny's and Juliets can be obtained mostly on eBay, craigslist, etc... Juliets can still be purchased from Oakley (limited colorways) and at several oakley vault stores, which are the outlets. Just gotta hunt them down. Penny's are a rare find in a store but they do pop up..........

Welcome to the forum... Most of the older threads on where to purchase wont help much. Penny's and Juliets can be obtained mostly on eBay, craigslist, etc... Juliets can still be purchased from Oakley (limited colorways) and at several oakley vault stores, which are the outlets. Just gotta hunt them down. Penny's are a rare find in a store but they do pop up..........

At Vaults or O Stores? Or both?

Back