• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Persimmon Vs Blue Iridium, Are These Redundant?

JacketFan

Oakley Beginner
Just kind of wondering if it would be worth it to buy persimmon. They aren't pricey but just wondering if they would do anything different than the blues.

Huh? Those two lenses are nowhere near similar. Blue Iridium is on a VR28 base while persimmon is, well, persimmon-based. Blu-Ir is also a hell of a lot darker than persimmon (15% vs.61%). Can't get any more "different" than that. Persimmon is sometimes useful on overcast and rainy days. Up to you if you need that.

Yeah I do, blue iridium had contrast and an orangish base so I wasn't sure, it was bright out.

The persimmon is definitely a low light lens only, almost a specialty lens. They really offer very minimal protection from sunlight, but the sharp contrast from the lens makes it great for those gloomy gray days and when it's raining out. I use them a lot in the morning when it's foggy out, the high light transmission and contrast make it feel like you have xray vision through the fog.

Persimmon is also excellent if you live in a coastal community in which you often deal with "marine layer" which is a fog/haze that come on and off shore during the morning and evenings.

If any of you Californians have been seeing the Wahoo Fish Tacos commercials recently, Wing Lam one of the co-founding brothers appears to be sporting glossy black half jackets with persimmon lenses.

I prefer the Amber Black Polar in mild haze, HI Yellow in full out haze, Shallow Blue in between, and that's about that. Blue IR is not one I do very often anymore, but the Blue IR Polar was a killer lens when offered.

I really like the persimmon lens especially during really cloudy or stormy days. To me it really lightens and gives contrast on darker days.

Latest Posts

Back