• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pet Peeve: Can't try on rare models before buying...

mezzanine

Oakley Beginner
Anyone else get annoyed by this?

I'm curious about models like Mars and Romeo, in particular, but feel weary about going through the process of buying a pair, with all of the research and careful watching of sale ads that goes with it, without even knowing how they'd fit me.

The Mars is especially frustrating in this respect, as at least with the Romeo I can kind of extrapolate based on how some similarly shaped models fit me.

I guess that's the price one pays for not jumping on them when they were in production and available for trying on at a store. One could argue that it's not that difficult to just sell it if it doesn't fit, but I'm not in the habit of buying stuff I think I might have to sell right away.

Well the nice thing is, you can sell them pretty much immediately if you don't like them. And you won't lose any money (as long as you don't overpay)

Most of the flux of my collection has been due to this.

Eyeshades, Blades, Sub Zero, XX, Romeo 2, Juliet, Racing Jacket (old style), New Straight Jacket, Scar - I bought a lot of pairs that ended up being pure crap for fit, then sold off.

Well the nice thing is, you can sell them pretty much immediately if you don't like them. And you won't lose any money (as long as you don't overpay)

Yeah, that's the upside. I realize it's more of a mental rigidity that I have to get out of in this age of e-commerce. I haven't adapted myself to the different buying strategy.

The tricky thing is that because I'm on a tighter budget than probably most of the seasoned collectors here, I have to look for a deal on some of these glasses, which makes the time invested in searching a factor in the equation. It's the time invested only to discover that it's basically been a waste after much effort that I find to be the downside. Maybe I shouldn't focus on trying to find one at a good price and just pick up a pair at market value with the idea of taking that time/effort factor out of the equation.

Yeah, that's the upside. I realize it's more of a mental rigidity that I have to get out of in this age of e-commerce. I haven't adapted myself to the different buying strategy.

The tricky thing is that because I'm on a tighter budget than probably most of the seasoned collectors here, I have to look for a deal on some of these glasses, which makes the time invested in searching a factor in the equation. It's the time invested only to discover that it's basically been a waste after much effort that I find to be the downside. Maybe I shouldn't focus on trying to find one at a good price and just pick up a pair at market value with the idea of taking that time/effort factor out of the equation.

Well, I tried for a year to find a good deal on a Romeo. Finally got tired of waiting and just bought one for 450$. Was worth it. Picked up another one with box a few months later for 450 as well because I like them so much. Sometimes you just gotta pay up

Size comparison shots to well-known pairs and wearer reviews are almost as good as trying them on. You know what pairs fit you well, so you should be able to tell when a pair is going to be good. For example, I know Mag Switch and Half X's are very similar in size to Juliets, and Juliets are too small for my face. Simple to solve.

Back