• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Photochromic Lens Thread.

I looked around and saw a few threads about specific photochromic lenses, but I didn't manage to find any about direct comparisons between them. Has anybody owned multiple kinds and been able to compare them first-hand? I imagine transition times are all about the same and none are likely to be great for driving, but which seem to get darkest? How long do they last, really? Mainly, I guess I'm looking for some subjective feedback, which do you prefer, and why?

I have a few clear to black transitions and I really try to keep them out of the sun as much as possible when I'm not using them (I'm not sure if that helps with the "shelf life" of the lenses but I assume they do). I do think the transition time is pretty quick (a minute or less either way [usually less] as long as I'm getting a full dose of sun or a full dose of non-sun. I like the clear to black because I like things being completely unobscured/clear when I'm not in the sun.

I store my Photochromic Clear/Black Fast jackets inside completely dark closet. I know they have limited lifetime and I believe it is mostly limited by the amount of cycles from going clear to black and the other way round. Mine only have a 1,5 year now, but they work like new.

Yes, photochromic lenses work through a chemical reaction of silver halides and UV light, and they eventually wear about. Average life tends to max at around 3 years with normal use.

But photochromic lenses are also temperature sensitive. Specifically, they work better in cold temperatures and worse in hot temperatures. So what can happen is a user might believe his lenses are wearing out while the actual problem is they're being used in too hot an environment, and they needlessly replace the lenses only to get the same results.

When they truly wear out, in addition to lessened darkening, they will develop a yellowish tint to them, even when not darkened.

Latest Posts

Back